Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking bottom inlet on toilet cistern. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just fitted a new WC and all okay except I cannot get the bottom water inlet to seal. It is a Fluid master setup. It drips from between the cistern base and the plastic nut not between the nut and the thread. It came with a flat washer, have even tried 2 washers, came with a spare in case cistern had side entry too. Now some Fluidmasters come with conical washer, like those used to seal the cistern to the pan, not sure how it is decided whether flat or conical, not what to use to overcome this problem.

Con washer always

And is the cistern flat around the inlet hole eg no bumps / lumps in the casting

Conical washer inside cistern with narrow end facing down. This makes the water tight seal between valve and cistern, and also centralises the threaded stem of the valve in the hole in the cistern. On outside of cistern, no need for a washer, just the white plastic nut.
Make sure you have a fibre washer in the connector which secures the inlet pipe to the bottom of the inlet valve, unless you are using a flexible hose to attach, in which case there should already be a rubber washer inside the flexi connector.

As shaun says, check base for lumps/bumps in the glaze - I would add to that check for hairline crack.
Conical is best but to be honest you should be able to seal against the 0.03bar head with a flat washer.
For fail safe run a bead of stixall/ct1 under the flat washer first and then tighten as usual.

If it’s smooth how tight are you doing the nut up ?

Is it sat flat? I’ve had a few cisterns recently where the hole was making the rubber washer curl at the side slightly due to poor manufacturing.

Is it sat flat? I’ve had a few cisterns recently where the hole was making the rubber washer curl at the side slightly due to poor manufacturing.
Is a cheap suite and with good reason. The hole is not particularly level, have removed lumps and bumps but is I suppose on closer inspection expecting a single washer to work hmmm:( Hopefully the Stixall will sort it.

Fit the fill valve into the cistern and before you put the plastic nut on and tighten it run a bead of clear silicone into the gap between the hole in the cistern and the thread of the fill valve. Fit the plastic nut and tighten sufficiently to compress the washer at the base of the fill valve inside the cistern but don't over tighten it. :)

The hole is the cistern where the tail of the valve goes should never see water.
The seal is between base of cistern and flange on bottom of fill valve. This is always possible to do, sometimes sealant is required due to poor moulding of ceramic.

Reply to Leaking bottom inlet on toilet cistern. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock