Search the forum,

Discuss Leak between cistern and pan of close coupled toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tjmreds

I have a leak between the cistern and pan of a close coupled toilet. Water escapes when the toilet is flushed. I had recently removed the siphon to repair the mechanism and since reinstalling there is now a leak. My main issue is that I don't seem to be able to access the bolts which join the cistern to the pan, they appear to be hidden within the ceramic of the pan - there are two bolts clearly visible within the base of the cistern. My intention was to remove the cistern and replace the coupling kit/donut washer etc...
Any ideas?
Tom

have a good look underneath the bolt heads you can see in the cistern you will see a wing nut eithr sise undo and remove the cistern after removing the screws holding the cistern to the wall and isolating and undoing the warter supply to the inlet valve silicone around the donut and re assemble dont overtighten the wing nuts as you tighten down good luck

Leaky - thanks for replying.
There aren't any wing nuts on the bolts in the cistern!

underneath thier should be thats what holds the top to he pan inside the cistern thier should just be bolt heads put your hand underneath the cistern and feel about you should feel a wing nut that connects to the bolt that goes through

There isn't - the design means these bolts are hidden within the ceramic of the pan, its a back to wall toilet similar to this:

download.jpg

Thanks erpkid. I didn't change the siphon in the end I just removed it to fix a damaged part. It seems that on putting it back I may have broken the coupling kit or the doughnut has degraded! to such an extent that even with the siphon back in place their is a leak.

Would you imagine the pan is bolted to the floor? There's nothing obvious on the pan apart from two small holes with have chrome caps on them.

Typical, just got back from a similar job. Back to wall on a tiled floor. They then went off the tiles and re-tiled on top and around the toilet,for good measure grouting it in. No chance of removal.

The caps should come off to reveal screws. If not and the leak is constant empty the cistern and get is very dry then silicone it around where the siphon is - a bodge but should get you going - allow to dry for a day before refilling. If on flush only it is the doughnut. If the doughnut you will have to find some way to remove the pan fixings. If you find them and they are rusted use wd40. Best of luck :smile:

on this toilet the pan is usually screwed to two nylon blocks which ar bolted to the floor. I had to fix one a few weeks ago. careful when you put it back as i accidentally moved one of the blocks and had to remove the toilet again.

Where on earth do they get the people who design these things?

A small gain aesthetically without a thought for ease of repair.

With all the push-fit stuff around these days you'd think someone would bring out a push-fit cistern held in place by the screws that hold it to the wall, although why you should still have to remove the cistern to service the working parts beats me.

If they make the cisterns any smaller they won't be any use at all - perhaps they'll provide a free plunger with everyone sold.

Load of tat!

Thanks all for the replies and advice.

I fixed the leak in the end by replacing the doughnut, connector kit and syphon mechanism. I also applied silicon around the washer and bolt on the underside of the cistern for good measure! Also discovered the toilet wasn't bolted to the floor but glued down, is this normal and should I consider replacing this method with some bolts?

I probably should have just bought a new toilet in the end (total cost was approaching that of a new basic toilet!) but the water inlet position probably would have made this a pain as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak between cistern and pan of close coupled toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock