Search the forum,

Discuss Lead stopcock replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnmcginty

Hi Guys , I got called out for this lead stoptap dripping though I am unsure how to stop it or some how blank it off. The drip is coming from after the thread and it is a lead pipe so didnt want to mess around with it too much. Is there some way of blanking this stopcock off completely as I want to put in a copper one. Any help much appreciated. Thanks:) pic coming soon I hope cant seem to get it working just keeps going blank?

Attachments

• lsc copy.jpg
    lsc copy.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by a moderator:
IF it's coming up through the nut ....

1. Turn off tap.
2. Undo gland nut
3. Wrap poofta tape around shank a few times
4. Stuff tape down into tap
5. Tighten gland nut
6. Turn on tap

If fails, try again with more PTFE tape.

I wasn't too sure when I first did this, but practised on an outside tap first, just in case it all went wrong!

Cheers guys seems straight forward enough. If it all goes t**s up I was thinking of using either a leadloc as suggested or a "Talbot grippa" anyone used one??? apparently they are easier pushfit solution to combine lead and copper.

would be a good idea to use a leadlock but
[Plumbers Tape For Everything]
would work. cheap as well

Hi!

As has been said, try PTFE in packing gland as dontknowitall said. In the old days they used pure wool and tallow to pack them or a hemp grommet. Today PTFE works great but some times you need a lot of it.

Err If you replace the valve don't forget there is more than one 1/2" lead size. You can have 1/2" 7lb, 1/2" 6lb or even 3/8" 5lb.
It was its weight per foot. They do make lead locs to suite all the sizes.

Visually 7lb usually had a raised seam and looked heavy.

I don't know about 6lb.

Visually 5lb was fairly thin and you could just about sweat a 3/8" ball valve tail piece into it.

As a matter of interest some utility companies offer deals for replacing lead water mains and I did hear they do some work for free.

Hope the customer does not mind you putting a big arrow and writting all over the wall :eek:,I would be a bit upset :):p

you used to be able to have lead main replaced for free if you have children under 11 living in house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead stopcock replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock