Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord plumbers advise required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
Advice not advise :oops:

I attended a boiler breakdown (condensate) and spent most of the 2 hrs unblocking the sink outlet which was fairly solid with fat that had obviously been poured down the sink. Client wanted to know if they could claim it from their tennants/agency (18mths) and tbh I didn't know for sure but said you should try as they were responsible for blocking the condensate. You wouldn't try and claim back for a normal boiler breakdown, do they have a case?

Last edited:
Client paid invoice immediately it was issued the other night, I've attended this normally tidy flat before and this time the whole place was in a dreadful state. Complete and utter sty, rubbish and food everywhere, sink taps broken, barely see the carpet, toilet and bathroom a mess etc etc.

I don't think the client was trying to drag me in as I genuinely didn't know just an innocent question about whether she could claim it from the tennants or not.

Up to a point Si, this is really between landlord, agency and tennants. I've been paid, invoice states what was done and why so it's up to them to interpret who is ultimately responsible. Although I agree with Harvest I'm not sure ignorance is a defence as the landlord's I've dealt with in the past still manage to get tennants to pay for just about everything.

Last edited:
Does the landlord get his solicitor to service the boiler? If not, there's your answer.

My advice is don't get drawn into other people's disputes. Just keep what you say strictly to evidence-based facts and keep records (photos, worksheet, notes written at the time) just in case it ends up in Court.

Client paid invoice immediately it was issued the other night, I've attended this normally tidy flat before and this time the whole place was in a dreadful state. Complete and utter sty, rubbish and food everywhere, sink taps broken, barely see the carpet, toilet and bathroom a mess etc etc.

I don't think the client was trying to drag me in as I genuinely didn't know just an innocent question about whether she could claim it from the tennants or not.
I do report back to landlord if there is an issue outside my remit...often get thanked
Rob Foster ...centralheatking

The tenant is usually contractually required to clear pipes when they become blocked with the tenant's waste. Whether this is in the Housing Act or not, I'm not sure though, so this might not be legally enforceable.

If you do a blame the tenant report, then going to be very unpleasant if the landlord asks you to do more work at same tenants.
I try to stay very friendly with tenants, but report verbally to landlords if I see any damage tenants have done.

I work for several letting agents and often end up unblocking sink traps etc due to oils/fats being poured away by the tenants. I normally advise the tenant of the problem but don't apportion blame. A report of the cause with photo's and my invoice then goes to the agents and they can decide whether to charge the tenant. I've found it best to just resolve the problem and let the agents/landlord/tenants sort it out between themselves .

Reply to Landlord plumbers advise required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a leak in my leasehold flat in a small council 4 storey block of flats – 8 flats in total. In the corner of the bathroom is a cupboard where the soil pipe runs through each of the 4 floors on my side of the building. Within this cupboard there is a T junction taking the bath and kitchen...
Replies
Views
Having just moved into a property and discovering the central heating not functioning, after 3 months we eventually was able to get the property management to have one of their heating engineers attend. He was literally here 10mins and in the loft space for 2mins, where he stated he discovered...
Replies
Views
Good evening... As the post states. I am going through paperwork before work begins again tomorrow AM. I have an unpaid job, it is from a very large heating contractor, they do work for the government. I will keep the story as short as possible as it drags on a bit, it will be a long post so...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by...
Replies
Views
L
Hey guys. I'm not a plumber, just a guy who's having some trouble with his boiler looking for some impartial advice before any money gets spent. Here's the story - A few days ago our boiler started acting up. We've never had a problem with hot water, but suddenly if you try to run a bath...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock