Search the forum,

Discuss Landlord certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt say its making up rules, its more like exceeding the bare minimum legal requirements and its even in the recommendations.
I dont think anyone will criticise one when they discover a dangerous leak.

At the end of the day each to thier own but if somewhere went bang because of a perfectly discoverable gas leak and one said well its a recommendation but I didnt do it because I dont have to...well rather you than me...

Dannyboy, our job is hard enough without people like you making up their own rules

Thats a bit harsh, if the lad is doing his job to his satisfaction then he knows he has done it right......if you want to do the bare minimum then thats down to you, but dont slate him for being thorough.

The regs are a minimum. If somebody likes to go over and above for there own piece of mind, then fair enough.

i have always done a drop test as part of a landlords cert, i didnt realize that you didnt have too and that it was only recommended, in my opinion if a landlord is paying you to make sure the property is safe then surely this is one of the most important tests.

tightness test isnt part of the cert but if he didnt go to the meter how did he do gas rates which is part of the cert
llgs is a visual inspection if your taking out the oven to check pipework why are you not ripping down boxings and lifting floors

tightness test isnt part of the cert but if he didnt go to the meter how did he do gas rates which is part of the cert
llgs is a visual inspection if your taking out the oven to check pipework why are you not ripping down boxings and lifting floors

In honesty Steve it's simple. Because it takes 2 minutes, it's easy to do and not to mention I have came across so many hobs that the landlord or his handy man have fitted, with the incorrect fitting. That and gas Fire restricter elbow are the first places I check when there is a failure on a TT.

Dont know why I bother though, called Gas safe once to explain I have found a hob with a flexible hose and they basically said 'is it leaking?' No. 'Leave it then'.

My post did sound harsh,I should'nt have worded it like that ,but I was'nt responding to the Tightness Test,I always do one ,it was spillage tests on the boiler and cooker which I thought he was being a over zealous

It is over zealous, Scorps. Not doubting that, just something I do. If I didn't do it then I certainly wouldn't write 'pass'. In the unlikely event that I did find spillage, for the very short time it takes to do I certainly wouldn't be displeased.

I thought I'd sent a post soon after my first, appologising for the way it read, but I did that on my phone and reading back now I can see it did'nt get sent

so you mean a flue integrity test ? to check there is no poc escaping into the air intake of the boiler? personally I would always undertake a tightness test on a landlord gas safety cert. just looks professional , print 2 records of it off with a kane, keep one with your copy and one to the landlord with the cert. also a good way of generating more income, if you rent out a property and the gas engineer inform you of a gas leak, what are the chances you are going to be happy with him capping the gas off and refusing him to fix the leak..........

Dannyboygas, from your comment about why bother as gas safe said what's wrong with a hob being connected by a hose, are you suggesting that a hob CANNOT be connected by a hose or that in your own opinion you don't do it?

I am suggesting, Kirkgas, that I would never do it myself for one, secondly I have been led to believe, however from your post im sure you will now tell me other wise, connections to hob should be rigid unless the m-I states otherwise.

in most rented properties i go to taking the oven out would result in the kitchen unit falling to pieces

so you mean a flue integrity test ? to check there is no poc escaping into the air intake of the boiler? personally I would always undertake a tightness test on a landlord gas safety cert. just looks professional , print 2 records of it off with a kane, keep one with your copy and one to the landlord with the cert. also a good way of generating more income, if you rent out a property and the gas engineer inform you of a gas leak, what are the chances you are going to be happy with him capping the gas off and refusing him to fix the leak..........

No, I do a flue integrity test though, again it's a simple enough thing and gives me piece of mind. I check around the seal of the boiler and flue with my Anton, if it's in a compartment I leave it in there whilst gas rating. As said before, not required and over zealous, I'm a naturally paranoid person though, for example, if I repair or interrupt a joint I check it a few times over just to be sure. Struggle to sleep at night thinking about various business tasks as it is, bills, van repairs, time scales etc, if I didn't check everything until I was happy then I'd be a zombie! Ha.

I'm running the family company now mate, was my grandfathers for 25 years I took over september 13'. Mostly work 8:30 until 7/8 at night. Trying to work, do the invoicing, do the quoting, meet new customers, keep my dad busy (he works for me too). It's never ending haha. Don't mind though I enjoy the job.

well hope the money and paperwork keeps you warm in bed at night. haha, jokes aside good luck with it.

You would shorten your working day if you did less on your landlord certs sorry couldn't resist that one

I would youre right, would give me more time to not sleep at night!

There is nothing wrong with doing more than the minimum, it just surprises me that so any RGI's on;t know the rules, I, personally, won;t do a basic LLGSC on an open flued appliance, i insist on servicing them. I don't, however, mislead anyone into believing it is a requirement by law.

It is curious that a TT isn't required on a LLGSC, when you are required to risk life and limb inspecting flues in lofts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock