Search the forum,

Discuss Lack of mains pressure after turning roadside tap off and then on again. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 89766

The mains pressure into the house was fine until I turned off the outside tap / valve on the roadside to do some work inside.

It's a newish looking valve which has a plastic handle. It only takes a quarter turn between on and off with no effort.

Is it usual for this type of valve to give problems? I'm in the UK and the valve is most likely the property of the council.

No not normally can you undo it any more ?

No, it's basically a quarter turn maximum in either direction.

Normally the plastic valves are like normal stop taps

Best to phone the water board up

Turn it back off open the bath cold tap and turn it back on again. It May just have a bit of muck stuck in it. If not call the water board out.

Great advice from everybody, thanks. I should have said that the water pressure is now down to little more than a trickle.

I've had it on and off a dozen times with various taps running at the same time but no difference.

Great advice from everybody, thanks. I should have said that the water pressure is now down to little more than a trickle.

I've had it on and off a dozen times with various taps running at the same time but no difference.
Where is the one inside the house?

I'm renovating the property and the only taps are the kitchen sink and the garden tap - both of which are at a trickle.

I mean the inside stop tap. There should be one inside the property as well as the one in the street/road

Yes there is but it needs to be moved for an extension to the property. In advance of moving it and in case something went wrong I wanted to double check that I could turn the water off from the road outside.

I haven't touched it yet, in fact it might even be seized so will have it replaced when work gets properly underway.

The mains pressure into the house was fine until I turned off the outside tap / valve on the roadside to do some work inside.

It's a newish looking valve which has a plastic handle. It only takes a quarter turn between on and off with no effort.

Is it usual for this type of valve to give problems? I'm in the UK and the valve is most likely the property of the council.
I have had a few instances where the internal stopcock has failed once isolated outside. Usually the reason for turning off outside is the internal one has failed. The waterboard can tell you straight away if the fault is outside, usually the guys that float around in the caddyvans trouble shooting come out quite quickly, you can crack on and change the internal one then.

Is hot pressure down or hot and cold?
If cold. Jiggle the stop tap on and off. If Hot clean line strainer in combi boiler (gas safe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lack of mains pressure after turning roadside tap off and then on again. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock