Search the forum,

Discuss Labour charge for outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Someone I work with in my part-time other job asked me how much to fit an outside tap (he's already bought a kit). I said at a guess £100. He said he'd do it himself. I said I didn't entirely blame him.

But it got me thinking. How much is a fair price? I suspect £100 was a lot to him because he'd be happy with a cheap job that I wouldn't personally be happy putting my name to. In fairness, I think I deliberately threw a high price at it because I got the impression he wanted a cheap job and I didn't want it, and because the words 'I've got a kit from B&M...' seemed like the start of a nightmare.

But to do it properly gets me thinking what's involved. Get to the house, clear space to work as customer has inevitably left all manner of rubbish under sink, drill through wall, fit sleeving of 22 through wall and mortar around it, fit backplate to wall and fabricate pipe run in 15 (or use an outside tap backplate with pipe already connected and then connect check valve and isolator and connect to existing pipework, hoping that the stopcock works and that the pipe drains down okay. Then clean brick debris mixed with washing machine detergent residue from insides of kitchen cupboard, seal between the pipe and sleeve, put everything back and leave site tidy, put tools away etc, and get home, or on to the next job.

I can't see it taking much less than 2 hours, so it makes me think that although £100 labour may be too much, it isn't much too much. I reckon £75 would be perfectly reasonable.

What are your thoughts?

Apologies for lack of contact recently - I've been a month without internet.

£75 or £100 is the least you'd want? I'm in Colchester, Britain's oldest recorded town, so, yes, SE.

Last edited:
£80 labour but done properly

There's 10 people locally that's advertising on fb £45 materials inclu

If 2 hours then £90 labour plus materials plus mileage + vat.
PS Ive never fitted an outside tap

I would charge £85
£25 materials £60 labour, not done many but not worth it for any less, as you say would stuggle to do it properly in Under 2 hours.

Diy/handy men are charging £40 customer buys hose kit.
Plumber who wants the job £80-£100
Plumber not bothered if they get it £100+

I would charge £85
£25 materials £60 labour, not done many but not worth it for any less, as you say would stuggle to do it properly in Under 2 hours.

Diy/handy men are charging £40 customer buys hose kit.
Plumber who wants the job £80-£100
Plumber not bothered if they get it £100+
I’m definitely the latter

I suspect that was my thought, KOP. I'd have probably ended up chucking most of his kit anyway, so at least I could have supplied decent materials, done a proper job, and kept him happy by not charging any extra. But if he's happy with a £45 job, I'm sure he'll be equally happy when the hose splits and...

That said, most houses have a washing machine hose constantly at mains pressure and seem to get away with it, but then most washing machine hoses are probably better quality :D

They are also rarely forced through a concrete wall, exposed to the elements and secured with jubilee clips.

I had a look at kits online and was amazed at how bad some of them are. I thought you got a copper tube going through the wall and used a flexi from the copper to the self-cutting tap, but no, they have become far far worse!

I had a look at kits online and was amazed at how bad some of them are. I thought you got a copper tube going through the wall and used a flexi from the copper to the self-cutting tap, but no, they have become far far worse!
So are just a piece of garden hose attached to a tap

The problem with outside taps is that it's always assumed it's a doddle by the customer.
They see these kits for 10 quid and then think it's 20 minute job.
So an assumption of 40 quid all in by the customer

Not worth doing them imho

Not worth doing them for the money those customers think the job should cost, no. Worth doing them for the money you think the job is worth though. Up to them whether they want to pay it. I have turned down jobs from customers who have accepted my price but were very reluctant and seemed sore about it because I didn't want to start a job with an air of resentment or suspicion involved but thankfully they have been very rare. Not had one for ages. There'll be one tomorrow now I've said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Labour charge for outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock