Search the forum,

Discuss Knocking from Soil Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nekekami

Hello all,I am new here but wanted to ask for some advice regarding a soil pipe issue in my fourth floor flat. First of all, a little bit of background, the flat has two bathrooms (main and es) and each bathroom has its own soil pipe stack. My flat is on the top floor and hence the soil pipe stack in the es goes is vented into the attic space whilst the stack pipe in the main bathroom has an AAV fitted. In all flats the soil pipes are contained within sealed trunking.Recently the push-fit connection to the soil stack for the es waste (basin + shower) failed and resulted in water leaking into the trunking and the flats below. The damage was minmal and the problem was rectified by replacing the push fit seal and reconnecting the waste. The problem is, however, now a loud knocking noise can be heard two floors down coming from the trunking in the ensuite. I have read a lot of the posts on here regarding knocking and noisy soil pipes and used most of the suggested diagnosis to try to figure it out. The problem only happens when hot water goes down the pipe and hence I feel this is likely to be an expansion related problem in the vicinity of the soil pipe in the flat two floors down.Does this sound feasible? If so, what should my next step be? The owner of the flat where the knocking noise is coming from is getting disturbed everytime we use our ensuite and wants us to look for a solution. Do I call a plumber out to confirm my diagnosis? Or do I just get a plasterer out to gain access to the soil pipe, fix whatever is causing the pipe to 'knock' and then to reseal it?I would appreciate any/all advice on this matter.

It is going to be a expansion & contraction of the plastic soil pipe or rather the lack of any way to accommodate it. Even if push fit fittings have been used they are normally pushed right home by the installer & on such a tall sack with branches off on each floor the expansion is such that movement causes the noises you can here.
Solution is to have a plumber gain access to the stack in at least a couple of places (best if poss on each floor) & install expansion joints.

Chris,Thank you for the quick reply. The strangest thing is that, prior to the leak, this wasn't a problem within the flats at all. Any idea why this would only now become a problem?

Chris,Thank you for the quick reply. The strangest thing is that, prior to the leak, this wasn't a problem within the flats at all. Any idea why this would only now become a problem?
It could be that they have now trapped a section of pipe or as I said above perhaps it was installed with 10mm expansion gap in each joint but when they carried out the repairs this has been closed, very difficult to tell unless you can see it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Knocking from Soil Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock