Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Kitchen sink waste fitting - can't find the part in the Fittings & Pipes area at

  1. PeakyLipe

    PeakyLipe New Member

    So it would be fair to say I'm a real novice when it comes to plumbing but I fitted a new sink in the kitchen a couple of weeks ago which went fine until it came to connecting the waste pipes. I've been trying to connect to the existing trap but can't for the life of me find a part that will match up and do the job. I've bodged it so far (see picture) but there's still a slight leak and it's a mess. Can anyone see an easy solution to this as I'm sure there is one?
    Sorry about the photo - I dropped my phone and broke the rear camera when I was taking it!

    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. SimonG

    SimonG Trusted Plumber

    Looks like Ikea crap. Strip it out and treat yourself to some mcalpine gear.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. JCplumb

    JCplumb Plumber

    Ikea really need to sort their wastes out, they're just not compatible with UK plumbing. I love Ikea for everything except sinks/basins and I charge an Ikea tax when installing their stuff for customers because it's always a nightmare.
    I have had some success with using the reducer that is supposed to go on the far end of the flexi on the trap instead and using UK pipe/joints/couplers after that and binning the flexi.
  4. PeakyLipe

    PeakyLipe New Member

    Yeah, the sink I replaced was an IKEA one so the trap is from that. New one is a Franke. Was hoping to find a way of getting from the waste to the trap. All the white bits are Mcalpine, I just can't find the right link to join the Flexi, which fits with the existing grey trap, to the white trap. I know - two traps!
  5. PeakyLipe

    PeakyLipe New Member

    This is the only bit that's leaking. Is there a coupler that should go here? Or straight from the sink to the Flexi would make more sense. Just can't find anywhere that sells what I think I need. Sorry, as I said I'm a novice!

  6. Riley

    Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Please don’t use a Flexi on your kitchen sink it will clog with food waste and you will be disappointed when it blocks
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JCplumb

    JCplumb Plumber

    It's not done up right, you can see the rubber sealing ring peeking out of it. Undo it and do it properly. Should be fitting then rubber sealing ring with taper towards fitting then slip ring then compression nut.
    Also agree with above, if you don't absolutely need to use a flexi then don't use one.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. YorkshireDave

    YorkshireDave Plumber

    Looking at that, the flexi can be removed completely.
  9. Ben-gee

    Ben-gee Plumber

    Same as YorkshireDave, remove the flexi. Loosen the nut fitting trap to waste and swing "u-bend" around to the left hand side, loosen the nut half way up the bend too - it looks like you should be able to join the trap to the pipe directly...Jiggle it all around to fit then tighten everything up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
Similar Threads - Kitchen sink waste Forum Date
kitchen sink fittings Fittings & Pipes Thursday at 2:47 PM
Kitchen sink overflow help please Plumbing Forum May 10, 2019