Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen sink overflow in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Can this be fixed?

The grill on the overflow on our kitchen sink fell out yesterday. I can feel whatever the grill was connected to when I put my finger in the hole, but can't see how I can get it back into position and screw the grill to it. Any suggestions please??

Attachments

• 20230613_153009.jpg
    20230613_153009.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230613_152944.jpg
    20230613_152944.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 12
Looks like the grill is the screw, so in theory just line it up and screw it in.
The piece you are trying to screw into will have corrugated hose attached to it, which then attaches to the waste fitting below the sink. With your hand underneath the sink you should be able to manipulate the back of the overflow into position by holding the hose and pushing that up. Once it’s in the right place I find it easier to screw the grill in if you use a wedge behind the overflow back part - to stop it pushing away.
It’s often a fiddly job, but probably easier to do than to write about!

It could be possible the nut that is inset into the plastic that receives the threaded section may be gone. If it is disassemble where the overflow is at the back of the sink and get a replacement. The corrugated hose should be able to stay in position

If you send the pictures to plumbersmate they will almost certainly have the parts to help you. They are a fairly standard part

The part circled is what's under the sink with a hose fixed to it that joins to the main sink waste.
There should be a washer, as pic. with it as well.

McAlpine overflow.PNG

Reply to Kitchen sink overflow in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock