Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen mixer tap leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good morning,

We have a Bristan mixer tap in our kitchen and this morning water has started coming out of the part circled in red below:

21l73ub.jpg

I was just looking for advice as to how to fix this - I'm assuming (and hoping) that it is quite quick and straightforward. It only seems to happen when the taps are turned on and so I'm hoping it might just be a washer or that the tap itself can be screwed back in somehow if it's just come loose.

Thanks.

Could potentially be an oring as you know the make I’d be tempted to contact Bristan and they can advise you if a service kit is available

If you contact Bristan they'll be able to tell you who stocks their service kits, if they do them for that model. You might find its something you have to order online as its not the sort of thing most physical stores/merchants would keep in stock.

The ease of replacing really boils down to your confidence and competence if you’ve done a few plumbing jobs then you shouldn’t really struggle with it but if you haven’t it’s very easy to destroy an o ring and have to get another one

I feel confident enough to give it a go it's mainly removing the spout I'm most unsure about. Also does the o ring go round the valve? I've contacted Bristan and they've suggested replacing the valves and said that I will need to replace the pair both hot and cold at a price of £61.40 (code 3684R) does that sound about right?

Do the valves work?? Ie the hot and cold. I don’t feel like the valves have any bearing on it leaking at the spout

Last edited:
Yes they seem to it's just leaking at the spout and even so when the water isn't turned on - do you think just replace the o rings then as you said initially?

I haven’t found a local stockist of the spout orings in years. Normally next day delivery.

Yes they seem to it's just leaking at the spout and even so when the water isn't turned on - do you think just replace the o rings then as you said initially?
I would only replace your o rings but I can’t comment on the functionality of the valves. All of a sudden you’re into new tap price range

Leaking around the stem has NOTHING to do with the valves. You are being sold something utterly inappropriate. :mad:

Your problem is that the o-rings on the spout have worn to a D profile so let water by. Change them and make sure yiu use food safe silicone grease to lube when you put it all back. Manus want you to replace not repair. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic thanks guys I've found a local plumbers merchant in Chesterfield who has said that I can take the spout to them tomorrow and they'll replace the o rings make sure I get the right ones. I've had a look at YouTube to see how to get the spout off and seems easy enough....

I will give it a try this evening and let you know. This is from behind the tap but there isn't a cap over the hole and does there not look to be a grub screw in? Also I gather from videos that it will be a small allen key to put inside there to loosen the spout?

33ol93r.jpg

Well I went and picked up a new o ring which was the same size but a bit thicker than what I had so the spout didn’t sit back in fully. I tried it without an o ring at all and it seems to be ok but doesn’t make any sense.....

Well I went and picked up a new o ring which was the same size but a bit thicker than what I had so the spout didn’t sit back in fully. I tried it without an o ring at all and it seems to be ok but doesn’t make any sense...

I knew your comment about picking up an o-ring was optimistic. The reality is few plumbers understand o-ring sizing and no merchant I've ever come across.

What you need to do is find an o-ring that is a little NARROWER than the gap it sits in and around 5mm smaller dia than it needs.

Then you stretch the o-rings into place in their groves. You MUST lubricate the o-rings with food safe silicone grease before you fit it and then it will go on for years.

Reply to Kitchen mixer tap leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock