Search the forum,

Discuss Just had an argument about tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As many will know, its quite possible to have no perceptible drop but still have a smellable leak.

Equally, in the right circ you could have a drop or a rise which isnt attributable to leakage/let by.

where can you have a leak that is large enough to smell but doesnt show as a drop on a u gauge? unless you mean on the upstream side of the ECV

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have fluctuations with the pipework temperature, but in rare circumstances you could have let by from the ecv and a leak at the same rate, so it shows no drop but there is a leak, in two places. You would be unlucky to get that. But if in doubt, unscrew the governor and spray leak detector into the closed ecv.

I would say that I have to contact southern gas to either change the ecv(let by) or governor(working pressure let by) on 1 in every 6 safety checks I do. I do not understand chaps that don't do let by/tightness tests when cariing out safety checks/servicing!

havent read all the post but your bang on in my book ryster i do a let by and tightness before starting work so if there is a problem you let them know before you start dont know if its manditory but i do better safe than sorry

Devils Advocate.

Who is to say, after you do your let by test then open and close the valve to increase the pressure for your test, that the valve is still holding 100%?

All that is between you and a leaking ECV is perhaps a bit dried out grease!

You can have fluctuations with the pipework temperature, but in rare circumstances you could have let by from the ecv and a leak at the same rate, so it shows no drop but there is a leak, in two places. You would be unlucky to get that. But if in doubt, unscrew the governor and spray leak detector into the closed ecv.

if you have a leak rate at the same rate as the ecv lets by this is why you do let by at 10mb and TT at 20mb, so that the leak will show on the TT, as it is being done at a different pressure

Take it you not has it before then, trust me it happens. Found the leak to be on a boiler, isolated it then retested, at 10 mbar at first as you rightly say you should, and I had let by. Which didn't show at first. Had transco fit a new ecv, I fixed the boiler. All good after that. That's why I'm saying it's not always so obvious, even with the guide lines and and so on. You have to be confident and know what your doing.

generally a tightness test is carried out , if it is a new supply,or the supply has been turned off, if you are going to work on the actual installation or add appliances, or the customer suspects a gas leak (smell of gas). You dont have to do a tightness test if you are servicing an appliance ,unless your company wants you to do one, as you can isolate at the isolating valve test disturbed joints with LDF. Contrary to a previous reply, a tightness test includes a let by test for 1 minute at 7-10mb, a temperature stabilisation for 1 minute at 20-21mb, and a tightness for 2 minutes at 20-21mb / this is for a low pressure installation. Its never been acceptable for a stabilisation test to be done with the let by test (thats for bartdude pubmember attention)

generally a tightness test is carried out , if it is a new supply,or the supply has been turned off, if you are going to work on the actual installation or add appliances, or the customer suspects a gas leak (smell of gas). You dont have to do a tightness test if you are servicing an appliance ,unless your company wants you to do one, as you can isolate at the isolating valve test disturbed joints with LDF. Contrary to a previous reply, a tightness test includes a let by test for 1 minute at 7-10mb, a temperature stabilisation for 1 minute at 20-21mb, and a tightness for 2 minutes at 20-21mb / this is for a low pressure installation. Its never been acceptable for a stabilisation test to be done with the let by test (thats for bartdude pubmember attention)
Threads 4 years old hope they'd have worked it out by now

Or is it ?? [emoji12]
Maybe I have been given super mod powers to open threads just by looking at them !!!

Well Kirk teaches the rules every day,so now I guess he's on a busmans holiday:)

Kirk is spot on, as always.
But teaching every day is no guarantee of accuracy.
I was in a training centre recently, and the trainer absolutely insisted there should be no flexible connection on a suspended heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just had an argument about tightness testing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock