Search the forum,

Discuss jointing pastes / compounds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry98

morning boys and girls what past / compounds do you use on cold/hot water pipe work

basically i have a contract at the minute with another 2.5 years to run where all pipe work has to be surface mounted where possible and in chrome.

yes chrome

anyway ive had two call backs to two different location where the elbows have leaked now normally i dont use jointing paste etc as i believe in the olive but i cant carry on like this calls backs cost money and time

so whats your recommendations and yes ive tightened them to high heaven

I believe most people swear by jet blue. It's suitable for potable water and gas. I cannot seem to bring myself to buy it though as it costs a few pennies

I use Jet blue on all Compression fitting now, I never used to and got the odd weeping olive, since using it I have had NO leaking joints at all. It is worth it for the time it saves.

I've found over tightening doesn't always help! Just a slight nip up & then once more a little for luck!

Edit; meant to say jet blue for me too!

I use Jet blue on all Compression fitting now, I never used to and got the odd weeping olive, since using it I have had NO leaking joints at all. It is worth it for the time it saves.

This^
Although i use jet white on heating fittings :)

idchap ha ha I don't often use it to be fair but when I do that's my numberone choice its allways in the big box in the van just in case

Jet blue for me too but I also like fernox water hawk which isn't expensive at all

Jet blue for me too but I also like fernox water hawk which isn't expensive at all

You like water hawk? Why cost it's like you just blew your load on hands. It's messy gloppy stuff just like gas tight. We use jet blue..... I fact I got a free tub other day as it had a small crack in tub and mate a bumbs said we buy that much of it he thought we should he free bee. 5 to 10 tubs a month. It's awesome stuff and is about ÂŁ7... So in reality that's ÂŁ12.

I can work quicker with water hawk for that reason. Dip ya digit in the tin and whip it round the olive.

You like water hawk? Why cost it's like you just blew your load on hands. It's messy gloppy stuff just like gas tight. We use jet blue..... I fact I got a free tub other day as it had a small crack in tub and mate a bumbs said we buy that much of it he thought we should he free bee. 5 to 10 tubs a month. It's awesome stuff and is about ÂŁ7... So in reality that's ÂŁ12.

Try the anagram Ermi. Jet Lube.

Jet Lube is what I use for every compression joint nowadays.
It does gas & potable water.
Costs probably ÂŁ10 a tub, but lasts for ages & never hardens - so no waste.
I always say that all compression joints are better if sealed with a paste, but one issue is many of the olives are very poor design & quality. If the olive has a very small taper, it will tend not to seal well & the taper will not make contact with the tapered part of the fitting - made worse if you over tighten the joint.

Jet blue for me. Always taught to use it on olives, helps lubricate the joint when tightening, no brainer for me.

On threaded joints I use loctite 577 - quickest method for sure

Jet blue is awesome - only thing is it doesn't come off yer clothes!! I ruin brand new pants with the stuff, have a nasty habit of wiping my hands on my pants after I've used it

Last edited by a moderator:
Jet blue is awesome - only thing is it doesn't come off yer clothes!! I ruin brand new pants with the stuff, have a nasty habit of wiping my hands on my pants after I've used it

You should have been a window installer . Silicone all over. They are called wrags or wipes!

Jet blue, plumb blue v2 it's all the same just packaged differently just depends where you shop as to which one you use. I prefer the v2/plumb blue tubs as they ere slightly smaller easier to store and carry around.

and if people thing jet is expensive then try buying a can of stag, you'll soon appreciate the price

Jet blue, plumb blue v2 it's all the same just packaged differently just depends where you shop as to which one you use. I prefer the v2/plumb blue tubs as they ere slightly smaller easier to store and carry around.

and if people thing jet is expensive then try buying a can of stag, you'll soon appreciate the price

Pretty much word for word my view! I keep the tub in my main tool box and use it on every compression joint. Every single joint. Don't like dry joints, tighten it till it squeaks like my dad says "no ta".

On chrome I sometimes (shock horror) tighten the joint, slack off, and then ptfe the olive and retighten. Chrome can be a cruel mistress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to jointing pastes / compounds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock