Search the forum,

Discuss Joint compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Probably a silly question to most on here, but is boss white ok to use on compression joints that carry drinking water. I thought it was but my mate thinks its non drinking water only. If this is the case what should i use on the joints for our new taps.

Thanks in advance Nigel

No, Boss White is not for drinking water, or any water you use out of your taps, so not for hot or cold.
You can get a form of Boss White for potable water, or other brands.
I like Jet Lube V2 as it does gas, or potable etc. It is non hardening but expensive, however none is therefore wasted.
Boss White is good for central heating pipes and also their iron joints

Last edited:
As above. Boss white has compounds in it that can leach into the drinking water and do you no end of harm.

I'm a jet blue fan myself, same as jet lube but rebadged by plumbcenter and is a wee bit cheaper for a larger tub.

I use Jet Blue aswell, same as the jet lube and the regin gear, but the tub is better and less prone to getting smashed which is why I use it

shhhh (still use it just dont get it inside the pipe ) its only another thing to kill you :D try boss green

Last edited:
I use jet blue or any of the other jet compounds that are out there,
makes you wonder how are parents survived the boss white and hemp poisoning epidemic what where the symptoms ?
maybe that's why my old man was such a miserable old git:wacko:

I use jet blue or any of the other jet compounds that are out there,
makes you wonder how are parents survived the boss white and hemp poisoning epidemic what where the symptoms ?
maybe that's why my old man was such a miserable old git:wacko:

Tough as old boots more like nothing like the pansy these days,

Was all Boss White with me and probably every plumber for years.
We didn't know any better. I doubt if it is very harmful.
Was also lead solder fittings for years, wiped lead joints on any burst lead water mains (although we always knew it was bad for health and replaced any entire pipes if possible).
Asbestos flue pipes, asbestos rope and fibre washers containing asbestos.

Was all Boss White with me and probably every plumber for years.
We didn't know any better. I doubt if it is very harmful.
Was also lead solder fittings for years, wiped lead joints on any burst lead water mains (although we always knew it was bad for health and replaced any entire pipes if possible).
Asbestos flue pipes, asbestos rope and fibre washers containing asbestos.

What like these :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

:D

Scary! That's the stuff! Am sure that shouldn't be lying about, but put into bags
I used to cut it using a saw blade for metal, with dust going all over.

:D remember it well :D got a few stories

:D remember it well :D got a few stories

Some idiots still connect into original asbestos flues when fitting new oil boilers.
The modern standard efficiency oil boilers still have wet flues inside and the asbestos gradually erodes inside and falls down inside the oil boiler. You then see a pyramid of asbestos dust on top of first baffle. Makes servicing them really a danger.

Some idiots still connect into original asbestos flues when fitting new oil boilers.
The modern standard efficiency oil boilers still have wet flues inside and the asbestos gradually erodes inside and falls down inside the oil boiler. You then see a pyramid of asbestos dust on top of first baffle. Makes servicing them really a danger.

Good Hoover and don't sneeze :D small doses your ok but if working with it day in day out months checks are required :(

Good Hoover and don't sneeze :D small doses your ok but if working with it day in day out months checks are required :(

Hopefully I am okay, but the oil boilers full of asbestos dust worries me because you can't avoid breathing in that dust to some extent. I don't smoke because it is bad for health, but breathing soot and perhaps even asbestos dust is a lot worse

Hopefully I am okay, but the oil boilers full of asbestos dust worries me because you can't avoid breathing in that dust to some extent. I don't smoke because it is bad for health, but breathing soot and perhaps even asbestos dust is a lot worse

Next time your in the docs ask for a test / scan as your concerned but tbh I wouldn't be that worried, be old old man (pipe fitter / tin smith ) they used to mix it in big bags and put it on with there hands and smooth off etc and he's clear just the fluxes that has killed his lungs, can't do more than 3 steps now

Makes you think is the new ab loft fibreglass;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joint compound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock