Search the forum,

Discuss Joining cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meady

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
A mate of mine has just bought a house and wants to fit a toilet/basin downstairs. Only issue is the soil pipe is cast iron which I have never dealt with before.

What’s the best way to connect onto it and what fittings do you think I would need?

Cheers

nosly1.jpg

dfx169.jpg

Only way really is to dig the floor up it should be clay pipe and either fernco on the top (if it's supported above) or replace the whole stack

Ok, you didn't read this here. Use a 110mm hole saw and cut a hole adjacent to the access door then bond in a butchered fitting.

Would cutting the rodding eye off flush with the floor work so that you are just left with the bit of pipe going into the fitting in the ground. Then using a fitting like this

1581li.png

Yes would work aslong as the cast isn't the small type eg less than 95mm

Last one I did was a strip out and replace. The cast that came out must have had an internal diameter of less than 25mm.

Cut the tee out and use the joint below the spigot on the tee to replace from there up and as Shaun corbs said use a fernco fitting to get back onto the rising stack

I measured it and the external diameter is 100mm?

Depending on thickness I would say it's the small type best to get to clay

What fitting would I need if joining to clay?

Cheers for the help :)

What fitting would I need if joining to clay?

Cheers for the help :)

That fitting you posted will fit into clay there great

Will even fit into the collar of the clay so you don't need to remove that

So just take the cast iron ridding eye out and that fitting I put a picture of above can go straight into the clay?

So just take the cast iron ridding eye out and that fitting I put a picture of above can go straight into the clay?

Correct it should only be cemented in

Sounds like a plan to me, and does that fitting need anything to seal it in the clay or is it ok by itself.

Sounds like a plan to me, and does that fitting need anything to seal it in the clay or is it ok by itself.

Nope might need some silicon spray to help it go in

Spot on, cheers for the help, I’ll let you know how it all goes :)

Got it all done today, that fitting worked a treat.

Some of the old soil was a pain to get out due to fittings in the floor but a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer soon sorted that :)

Quick question though, the top section of pipe wasn’t cast iron, it was more or a fibery material. What would this have been made out of as it wasn’t cast iron?

Cheers

O c£&@ you should of stopped asoon as you knew it wasn't cast

Whole stack needs to be replaced now

Well this is the offending pipe, from why your are all saying it was asbestos. The whole stack has been changed now.

63u9dz.jpg

Not really. I know it sounds bad but I’ve dealt with asbestos one too many times unfortunately.

Not really. I know it sounds bad but I’ve dealt with asbestos one too many times unfortunately.
The problem is the rest of the loft that has been covered by all the damaged fibres. That are then kicked around every time someone opens the loft hatch.

The problem is the rest of the loft that has been covered by all the damaged fibres. That are then kicked around every time someone opens the loft hatch.

No worse than insulation tho that will be the next one to cop us

The soil didnt go in the loft, it was straight out a flat roof.

I know it wasn’t the best but by the time I had realised I had already cut half way through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joining cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock