Search the forum,

Discuss Joining 15mm isolator valve to 1/2" BSP male tap tail. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duffsparky

I've started a discussion at- http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/21292-shower-pipe-sizes.html#post155539 - regarding shower pipe sizes and fittings, I didn't realise there is a seperate Fittings & Pipe forum.

Any way I want to connect a 15mm x 15mm full bore isolating valve to the 1/2" male connections on my shower mixer valve. I need to keep the assembly as short as possible and don't have sufficient room to connect the two together as normal. I want to know if I could get away with fitting a 1/2" x 1/2" female/female socket, see middle picture fig 2 below
fig1 isolating valve.jpeg fig 2conex 1-2 female female straight coupler.jpeg fig 31-2 bsp male adapter2.JPG

Obviously have to remove the 15mm conpression nut and olive and fit a seal, possibly and "O" ring or fibre washer, between the valve and the 1/2" male tap tail.

I've looked for isovalves that are 15mm X 1/2" but they all seem to be small bore and I want to use full bore. If I put the valves elsewhere there will be a problem accessing them. I've looked at using 15mm X 1/2" adapter but they are too long, I've also looked at using 22mm X 3/4" isovalves fitted with 3/4" x 1/2" reducers but again I think they'll be too long.

As an alternative I've found this fitting 15mm O/D tail x 1/2" BSP, made by JG in there Speedfit range, see photo fig4 below
fig4 Female-Stem-Adaptor-Teaser.jpg

Here's what I'm trying to acheive, see fig5. By the way the left hand pipe in not in its correct location
fig5DSC00001.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• O ring2.JPG
    O ring2.JPG
    1.2 KB · Views: 154
Why do you want the valves on the horizontal, can you not fit in vertical or fit valves in airing cupboard? Make life easier as you wont be able to get at valves once tiled etc.

as above, I would not want to put iso valves there. Put them in the loft for easy access, plus if they leak, you can visually see it.

Pointless putting valves there - You can't get to them.

Put them somewhere accessible.

yes as above threads, a very strange place to put them iso valves.

Unless I put the valves under the floor or in the walls they'll have to go under the shelf which sits in the corner on top of the corner mounting bracket. There is sufficient space to access the valves and if they leak the water will drip into the shower tray. I just need a suitable way of joining the valves, without using the olive and compression nut on one end, to the 1/2" male inlet of the mixer valve.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
wont a ballafix swivel fit ?

Length wise that type would be ideal, however, the only ones I can find are all small bore and I want full bore. Anyway I have found a solution and pressure tested it and all seems OK.

Thank you to all who have contributed.

I doubt duff sparky will be back to tell you, however the right way to do it is in the comments above, as a side note, I would have done away with those horrible offset connectors and brought the copper out at 150 centres into shower fixings.

Sadly, shortly after my last post, divorce rose its ugly head and I didn't get to finish the installation. I can't remember what my solution was and the above suggestions where not ideal because they significantly increased the pipe runs in order to keep them out of sight, which was something I was trying to avoid. Sorry I can't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joining 15mm isolator valve to 1/2" BSP male tap tail. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from. Why I think its I've used calipers on the threads and counted them, and the male end sticking out of the vessel is BSPT 3/4 with 14 threads per inch...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to be fitting a tap like this one: And just wanted to check that this is the correct part for connecting to 15mm copper pipe using compression: https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-compression-straight-tap-connector-15mm-x-1-2-/58294 If not, please could someone let me know...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am trying to fit a replacement tap to a mini-sink that's built in to the top of a toilet. The original tap isn't made any more by the manufacturers - the nearest equivalent is apparently this one: GoodHome Lazu 1 lever Mini Contemporary Basin Mono mixer Tap | DIY at B&Q -...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Hi. I have to replace the taps on a small sink. Currently the tails fit onto the hot and cold-water supplies into a female end fitting. I want to add isolation valves to both supplies but all these seem to come with compression ends. My question is - can I just remove the compression bits (the...
Replies
Views
S
I am fitting a new shower valve, it has 1/2 inch compression female in/outlets. I am using a 1/2 in ch to 15mm elbow to get me into my copper pipe network. Should I use a 1/2 - 15mm adaptor with a flange or without a flange? What is the flange for anyway?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock