Discuss I've settled on an Intergas boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hard to who knows owns what these days Stan, being in a garage I would go for a boiler pre insulated inside the casing another thing for you to consider ? Just serviced a HRE 36 combi I fitted a year ago and that is insulated . Kop

View attachment 39079

View attachment 39080

That is a beautifully tidy installation, KOP. A real joy to see.

My garage installation is just that - the walls are (reconstituted) stone and all pipework and cabling in the garage is surface. At least it's easily accessed :).

I was surprised at the takeover news regarding Intergas. You will know by now I have a soft spot for the brand.

I have most definite discounted a combi of any make for the reason outlined above - something will have to replace the Ideal Classic and that reduces the options. It would be fascinating to be able to look forward for a year (or two) to see where Intergas are then. Maybe the takeover will enhance their presence in the UK? But when you hear of a firm being absorbed into another you always fear the worst these days. I do hope they thrive though, I'd be sad if they didn't.

OK, Riley. I wouldn't have described it as a strange obsession, but there's no point in pusuing that. It's plain that we're becoming at odds on this one. I don't think there's anything more to add.

Further thanks for time and trouble.

I meant it more in a jovial way mate I wasn’t having a go, I just find the approach a little bit baffling that’s all

No, that's fine,Riley. The problem lies with me, not with everyone else. It's in my nature to check things out before I buy them rather than regret a purchase afterwards. And with some things I can quickly get to grips with them but with boilers I see so many bods favouring this manufacturer and slating that manufacturer. It's been drummed into me that every installer has their favourite and five fitters will recommend five different products and that a good boiler fitted by a crap fitter is worse than a rubbish boiler fitted by an expert - but I get advice that is so conflicting about which is rubbish and which is great that, you have to admit, it's confusing.

* Manu's wriggling out of warranty.
* Make sure you get the longest warranty you can.
* Plastic components replacing brass ones.
* Rubber hoses.
* Heat exchangers that clog up due to narrow waterways.
* An Open Vent system is dirty and lets air in and rots your rads.
* A Sealed System will blow all your radiator valves apart.
* A combi is great - no stored hot water which wastes money.
* A combi is dreadful - poor hot water flow in the winter and you have to wait ages for a bowl full of water for the washing up due to long pipe runs.
* Keep your vented cylinder, it's simple and you can fit an immersion heater in case the boiler breaks down.
* You need an unvented cylinder, OK they're a bit complex and not cheap and need fitting by a G3 installer and need a service every year but are so much better than a combi.

You've got to admit all the above (and lots more besides) is here in the forum, and on any other heating forum we might stumble across.

But that's OK - the forum is great coz it airs all those matters and talks about them with views coming from all directions.

It's just a matter of sorting through it and doing your best to make the right choice in the end.

And you fellas have been great.

I must stop rambling.

How about a Atag Stan if you want a quality bit of kit you won't find em in the merchants or online for sale , the Dutch company deal direct with its install partners and sell straight to us, a good manufacturers warranty 10 years on most and all
Brass and stainless components built to last. Kop

15601858520717702133770532931731.jpg

15601858838054064750121869539613.jpg

I had to smile, there KOP - I had a vision of Riley saying "Oh for goodness sake" :))

And, indeed, I have looked (but you knew that didn't you:))

Along with Viessmann.

And guess what? When I checked both of them out I found all the same arguments and half the world saying there the dog's bolox and built like a tank - and the other half saying you can't get spares, there's no back up, the customer service is rubbish, they're a nightmare to configure or whatever and goodness knows what else...

But (if Riley will forgive me:)) I'll go and look again.

Never had any issues mate only problem is the cost of the things they are hard to sell when compared to say Ideal , Baxi , or some of the other manufacturers but definitely worth considering, I installed the all singing and dancing IC 27 economiser in my own home so that tells you something have a look on Trustpilot for independent reviews . Kop

I had to smile, there KOP - I had a vision of Riley saying "Oh for goodness sake" :))

And, indeed, I have looked (but you knew that didn't you:))

Along with Viessmann.

And guess what? When I checked both of them out I found all the same arguments and half the world saying there the dog's bolox and built like a tank - and the other half saying you can't get spares, there's no back up, the customer service is rubbish, they're a nightmare to configure or whatever and goodness knows what else...

But (if Riley will forgive me:)) I'll go and look again.
Don’t I agree with him Atag are great pricey but well made

Don't believe it will work as an open vent. Instructions say below 0.5bar, you will get a low pressure warning and the heating will function at a reduced capacity. 0.2bar and below and the heating won't function.

Also, why keep the cylinder when fitting a combi?
The Rapid does not have the low pressure warning.

Reply to I've settled on an Intergas boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock