Search the forum,

Discuss Issue with central heating circulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have an issue with radiators not getting hot. The boiler runs fine, the pumps only a couple years old and runs ok but there appears to be no proper circulation. The flow pipes get hot but the return stays cold so I know it's an issue with circulation system, I've used a system cleaner which didn't help, it was a gravity fed system so turned into sealed system with 1bar pressure which also didn't help. Pipework from the boiler is 28mm, by the pump is 22mm and feed to radiators are 15mm. Short of having the system power flushed has anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks

Yes Shaun I know what it is called thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours doesn't link anywhere other than the ch part ?????

Read it again then and find the word balance in my post. I`m sure the OP is capable of operating their keyboard to find the desired intel for themselves.

But is that really a balancing issue if the return pipe doesn't get hot at all? There must be circulation issue?!!??!!?

Might be a silly question but here goes!

All rad valves are open are they?

Yeah all rad valves are open and 2x rads were changed to new ones, I've tried balancing rads but still no joy. I know it's an issue with circulation but trying to figure out what it is and how to sort, I'm guessing a blockage of some sort. I've used a system cleaner that did nothing, each time drained the system water cones out clear but with it being an old system I didn't really want to do a power flush incase an old joint blows so don't know if anyone else got any ideas?

Is the return valve on the boiler open? I know its stupid but happened before.
Without circulation, the flow wouldnt get hot either and boiler would reach overheat levels quickly and shut down. Does this happen? Have you got a bypass anywhere, if wide open the flow could return before getting to the rads, but at least part of the return to the boiler would get hot. Dont bother with rad valves and changing rads, your concern is the main circuit itself and the point of return which is usually a radiator.
Find your last radiator on the circuit, disconnect it and bypass it with a hose. If it gets hot, you found your problem. If not, quote for new circuit.

Recently had circulation issue and it was a big dump of air that was trapped after system pressure had been left to drop too long. It took a while to shift it by various means but thats all it was.

Did you try fit a replacement pump sometimes it looks like the pump could be working making all the right sounds but the impeller can be broke away from the shaft

Was the system actually working , before it got sealed .
Some of the pipes may be gunked up/past it .
And as bacon_Sandwich put it , trapped air - a normal problem for not so well laid out creations -that have been drained down/left dry for a while !

Have you tried turning the pump up to max and turning off every rad except one? When that starts to heat up, try turning it off and then do the same with another radiator? I seem to have to do this every time I refill a system - lots of bad pipework practice and lots of airlocks in systems.

On a really bad one, I had to open the drainoff on the radiator while allowing water to flow in through one and then the other pipe - twice. Luckily, the radiator had Myson Matchmate valve with integrated drain-off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Issue with central heating circulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
I am sizing the central heating pipes for a complete replacement. The property has an elongated floor plan so I have used a piping layout consisting of single flow and return headers running the length of the property and take-offs to and from radiators. Currently there is a combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock