Search the forum,

Discuss is this how my oil boiler works.....Grant Euroflame 90/120 Kitchen/utility boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pspec

Hi
I have a Grant Euroflame 90/120 Kitchen/utility boiler and I think I’ve worked out how it works.

The boiler is outside in a shed.

There’s a standard 3 wire mains power cord going into it (no other wires).

4 pipes coming out, 2 heats the centre heating, 2 heats the hot water.

There’s 1 pump in the shed for the centre heating 1 pump in the house for the hot water.

So as there’s only the power cable going into the oil boiler i think the boiler must only monitor the temperature of the water that’s actually in the boiler. So it must maintain the temp of say 1 litre of water so if the pump is turned on it heats all the water in the system.

(At first I thought a thermostat inside the house would control the oil boiler but as no wires except the power cable goes into the boiler that can’t be the case…)

So I’m now concluding that the room thermostat controls the centralheating pump and not the oil boiler and again the thermostat on the combo electric hot water cylinder must control the pump and not the oil boiler.

Also if all of that’s correct then doesn’t that mean if the oil boiler is constantly heating say that 1 litre of water for when the pump is turned on isn’t that a waste.

I would of hoped the thermostat would control the oil boiler directly and so it would only heat the required water..

So how much of that is correct….

Thanks

It should all be interlinked to give control over the boiler.
If the boiler fires up on its own with no demand it's not wired correctly.

That's how some older systems work. It's as you say...the boiler keeps itself hot then water is drawn off as needed.
They were designed that way for simplicity when fuel was very cheap.
You can improve the situation by modifying the controls so that you are only feeding power to the boiler when there is demand. However, this is not a DIY modification.
Something you can do yourself is check that the insulation on the boiler and especially the pipework is in good order.

As above. Old systems relied on boiler stat for control. Swap to S plan, get 2 or 3 estimates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is this how my oil boiler works.....Grant Euroflame 90/120 Kitchen/utility boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock