Search the forum,

Discuss is this correct? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

following on from this thread ​is this true you cant install or commission oil if your not oftec but you can service a oil boiler if your deemed competent by obtaining the relevant qualifications? in short oftec to fit or commission but not oftec to service

You can install, service and repair with no qualification. You only have to be oftec to commission.

Bit of a joke really, the only trouble is that I'm not laughing.

following on from this thread ​is this true you cant install or commission oil if your not oftec but you can service a oil boiler if your deemed competent by obtaining the relevant qualifications? in short oftec to fit or commission but not oftec to service
That's how it was explained to me Mark, unless its changed, also have to be oftec to install an oil tank or line too

You can install, service and repair with no qualification. You only have to be oftec to commission.

Bit of a joke really, the only trouble is that I'm not laughing.
Don't think they can install tanks or lines Simon?

sad thing is british standards lay down that you need to have the quals and be registered with a governing body (oftec) to carry out any work on oils systems, just as they do for gas and solid fuels but for some reason they have only actual regulations for gas enforced. BUT, if you are prosecuted, they will refer to the british standards for advice as they do with motoring offenses and the highway code (which isnt laid down in law) in order to prove a case of criminal negligense if they see fit. so all the nasty bits are out there ready to get you, and your insurers will be looking at this as well if you arent oftec and you cock up.

Aye, oil tank installation is notifiable. But if there's already one there! :)
I agree joke, how would they now about bundling, or min distance from windows, property etc? Needs a shake up IMHO, and I don't do oil, although have done in the past on both domestic and commercial burners

sad thing is british standards lay down that you need to have the quals and be registered with a governing body (oftec) to carry out any work on oils systems, just as they do for gas and solid fuels but for some reason they have only actual regulations for gas enforced. BUT, if you are prosecuted, they will refer to the british standards for advice as they do with motoring offenses and the highway code (which isnt laid down in law) in order to prove a case of criminal negligense if they see fit. so all the nasty bits are out there ready to get you, and your insurers will be looking at this as well if you arent oftec and you cock up.
Here...... LP someone in Devon has been nailed for advertising as Heatas approved and has been taken To Barnstaple mag court....search for installer on line it's all there......

I agree joke, how would they now about bundling, or min distance from windows, property etc? Needs a shake up IMHO, and I don't do oil, although have done in the past on both domestic and commercial burners

basic level3 training tank bunding distances etc.

most oil is in the stcks, so when it goes wrong then damage limitation is a hole in the ground.lol

its environment agency with the biggest bite on this one!!

basic level3 training tank bunding distances etc.

most oil is in the stcks, so when it goes wrong then damage limitation is a hole in the ground.lol

its environment agency with the biggest bite on this one!!

I agree on EA Martin

£30,000 plus to clear up a small/moderate spill in your garden, theyll do it for you and put the bill in the post!

I also think it stupid that oil companies can fill up an oil tank without a care in the world as to how safe that tank is for containing the fuel.

You got it lucky, in our area they don't, but I am close to oftec hq. just had oftec inspection last week, they are getting really hot for incorrect oil tank installations. Mine were fine. Every oil tank location has to be search on enviro website to see if water extraction happens in that area and flood risk to see if its deemed secondary or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have to be often at all. There's more than one competent persons scheme. NAPIT, niceic, APHC etc.

plus, you could legally install it all then get building control to sign it off as compliment and it would all be 100% legal.

in fact, I'm pretty sure it is the same for gas. The only limitations are that if you are doing it as a business, you must be gassafe registered. To my knowledge, you could install your own boiler in your own house and get it signed off by building control who would issue a certificate of building regulations compliance and it would be legit.

the words competence is very much in the grey area, and it seems you can only really prove incompetence by mucking it up, which is then easily proven in a court of law. How do you prove competence? Certainly not by qualifications as we all know, there are plenty of idiots out there with all the right bits of paper!

I also think it stupid that oil companies can fill up an oil tank without a care in the world as to how safe that tank is for containing the fuel.

I put a warning sticker on a bulging plastic tank, truck driver told the householder the sticker had to be gone when he got back with the filling nozzle or he may not fill the tank, customer removed the sticker and his tank was filled.

What is unusual about the above is most couldn't care less about the sticker and fill the tank anyway, the following is an example of the risks they are taking:

Estimated cost to clean up a 1,100 litre oil spill is €140,000.00

5 litres of oil can cover one acre of a lake.

A problem with being OFTEC registered is we are responsible because we know the difference between right and wrong, we proved it by passing the exam.

Cowboy Joe can cause the above disasters and at worst get a slap on the wrist, if he can be found.

The members need a much bigger say in the direction OFTEC is taking, we also need to pave the way for them by lobbying our politicians and educating them about the potential dangers of unregulated oil installations.

I still believe we should have a private section in this forum and an OFTEC badge.

If we don't show that we appreciate, respect and value our own skills then why should the public view us as any different to Cowboy Joe?

I still believe we should have a private section in this forum and an OFTEC badge.

If we don't show that we appreciate, respect and value our own skills then why should the public view us as any different to Cowboy Joe?

been there, tried it, down in flames, not an oily forum really

I TOTALLY THINK YOU OIL GUYS SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RESPECT AND access to closed forums as us GSR guys,we are trying to make it happen,its sometimes hard re configuring soft ware to accept it.it will happen one day

i take it all back, the welsh should have their own rule after all, tow them over to ireland :)

I say oftec need to wise up & stop all this nonsense of days of exam papers - mainly silly stuff & useless practical training.
What everyone needs is a 1 or 2 day max course with no bull & you have to buy the books, all for a reasonable cost, instead of this excuse of a "course" & the increasing costs.

Oftec (or any other governing body) dont have the power to, the law needs to be changed for it to have any effect. The only way of controlling these activities are through the building control and regulations, which aren't designed to assess individuals capabilities.

Its the same for the electrical industry and my bet is there will be more people who die or are injured from electrical installations than from oil.

All these accreditation bodies are taking your money for allowing you to wear a badge, the only people who are scrutinised are its members, and everyone else is free to do as they please. The only real way of the current system working is for the public to act responsibly and only use tradesman belonging to schemes like oftec. I think a lack of understanding from the customers, along with the temptation of saving a few quid are the main problems that need addressing.

Last edited:
Oftec (or any other governing body) dont have the power to, the law needs to be changed for it to have any effect. The only way of controlling these activities are through the building control and regulations, which aren't designed to assess individuals capabilities.

Its the same for the electrical industry and my bet is there will be more people who die or are injured from electrical installations than from oil.

All these accreditation bodies are taking your money for allowing you to wear a badge, the only people who are scrutinised are its members, and everyone else is free to do as they please. The only real way of the current system working is for the public to act responsibly and only use tradesman belonging to schemes like oftec. I think a lack of understanding from the customers, along with the temptation of saving a few quid are the main problems that need addressing.

good points there :iagree:

In France it is the customers responsibility to ensure the tradesman you pay are accredited, failure could result in a hefty fine, maybe not such a bad idea?

In France it is the customers responsibility to ensure the tradesman you pay are accredited, failure could result in a hefty fine, maybe not such a bad idea?

Not as daft as they seem then :)

I can see OFTEC reading this thread and taking notes.

NOT.

OK lets call them in by sending a link, I'm happy to go first just bear in mind one email is about as effective as one snowflake in winter.

Join in and see if we get any response.

its true that OFTEC seems to be all stick and no carrot right now.. its putting your head over the parapet at entirely your own expense.
however, its really the only well known oily organisation so... no choice with public credibility.

No OFTEC required in Scotland it's totally voluntary can commission using CD/10 form supplied with boiler....brum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to is this correct? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock