Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a correct position of the hole for washing machine pipes in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Stuart Porter

We had water leak from the laundry sink into the cupboard below, then flow down the hole cut for the pipes (the hole was on the floor of the cupboard).. this water then went downstairs and flooded the downstairs bedroom that is directly above the laundry area.

It makes no sense to me to cut the hole for the pipes in the floor of the cupboard... if it had been cut into the side of the cupboard (30cm above the floor) and the floor of the cupboard had been left intact, this water would never have made it to the downstairs bedroom.

This is a brand new build (2023) in Hobart Tasmania

Any help most welcome

There's no stipulation regarding the pipe being in the wall, but there appears to have been a failure in the waterproofing of the floor or wall connections. That shouldn't happen - there are strict waterproofing requirements for 'wet areas' in the code, a wet area being "An area within a building supplied with water from a water supply system..." Including the laundry.

Reply to Is there a correct position of the hole for washing machine pipes in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock