Search the forum,

Discuss Is it really worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pnhsolutions

I am seriously contemplating cancelling my GAS SAFE registration!

I am confident that i can earn or even exceed last years profit by getting into renewable energy systems!

After a week of complete hassle from customers to contractors i feel it is only to get worse for gas installers.

Once we have paid out for registration,Insurance,Tools,vehicle,wages, and paid yourself wage, I dont think the pressure and headache is really worth it!

For anybody that thinks gas installers are over paid! Please think again and for anybody that is self employed, Forget about employing people. It is complete hassle! MOAN OVER

stop everything and read THE E-MYTH by Michael Gerber

Its fine to go into renewables but a lot still use a boiler as back up!!

a really positive thought would be something along the lines of..
" a hastle free life style can be found at your local supermarket stacking shelves "
not bad for five quid an hour!!

you have your trade, theres been a couple of your employees making mistakes, learn from them and do well.

maybe use subbys with a retention??

ups with the downs and all that piffle.

if not see you in asda saturday!!

shaun

I agree with pnhsolutions on this I have been installing air source heat hot water cylinders and air source heat pumps since september with some excellent results and happy customers, you have to remeber that this is only new technology to the uk, not new to around the world. the major factor in supplying the units is finding them at a reasonable price and also getting past some of the rubbsh that the salesmen tell you to sell thier units. It is true that this sort of technology is not the solution to many customer needs, but there are many instances where it is.
Regards
Mike

I got to admit, I once worked for a firm that did gas servicing for Housing Associations.
What "hassle" it was like being a lawyer. The Associations did not want to pay for repairs, the tenants wanted to sue for carbon mon oxide poisoning. The person who serviced the boiler before you did argued like mad if it was a fault they should have found. And you where required to prove it all by referring to the appropriate section of the Gas/Building/British Standards/manufactures instructions, that it was in breach of. This is not to mention the ton of paper work that goes with it. And nobody at all wanted to pay. Glad I am retired and out of it!
Incidentally I don't know anybody who has been in that side of the game for very long who does not want to get out of it.
It needs a good shake up. Getting qualified with all the appropriate examinations every five years, cost a small fortune for both company and operative.
I think gas safe may be easier.
:)

Hi all
after my last post on this thread I have to confess I have renewed to the gas safe register this monday gone, as I will still need to be registered to work on gas, even if it is just ripping it out.
regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it really worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock