Search the forum,

Discuss Is 40 too old to become a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Curlyworld

I have recently turned 40 and have thought about being a plumber for a while. I now find myself with enough time to do a course but wonder if I am too old. Has anyone out there any experience of starting at such a late age?

I have an 'interview' and aptitude test with BTSC tomorrow but after reading a few negative reports on this forum I am not sure it's going to be the training for me. Has anyone got any recommendations for other training in the north west?

Depends mate , you will have to go self employed as no one will take you on so it just depends if you have around 12 grand to get started up and then earn maybe 100 pounds a week for a year ....good luck mate and welcome to the forum :)

Hi Curlyworld,

I say go for it 40 is no where near to old as long as you are in good health. I am 31 and hope to train as a plumber myself. I am doing the train 4 trade skills course and hope that I will give me a good start into plumbing.

Hope you get it into it.

I retrained as a plumber aged 46 (4 years ago). I'm fitter, and faster than a lot of guys who are much younger, but I have always been involved in some sort of engineering since I was 16. The other thing to ask yourself is does your past experience help you with this. You may find that your "life skills" already acquired are an asset. Experience, maturity and common sense are great attributes to have. Good luck.

HTB

That is true, at 28 years old and almost qualified, i find the younger plumbers that are qualified always look to me and ask what to do and how even though they should know better.

Life skills and experiences do help massively.

You're never too old to learn anything new and as already said, your life experience will help you no end.

At 36 I finished my re-training just over a year ago and whilst I have found self employment daunting, I have received a referal for more work from nearly every job I have done. This is almost entirely down to applying a professional attitude and approach to any job, whether it's a full bathroom fit or just fixing a tap.

I would reccomend that you find a training centre that suits you. Visit the centre and take up as many references from ex-students that they are prepared to give. I had an "interview" at BTSC in Chesington and whilst the facilities and the sale pitch are very good I just didn't get the right feeling from them and opted to go to The Plumbing Academy in Edenbridge, Kent.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do.

Mark.

markb hiya

You said you re-trained at 36 is this what you did before.

Hi dam,

I had done a number of things but imediately before re-training I was a project manager for a water company. I have found my project management and customer service / management skills invaluable.

Mark.

Thanks for your positive responses. I have looked at a couple of training places with NTPS in Hyde, Manchester coming out favourite so far. They seem to be genuine, unlike the BTSC set up.

i have enrolled with OLCI and start my training on Monday i,m 46 and would appreciate any tips to get me off with a good start.

i have enrolled with OLCI and start my training on Monday i,m 46 and would appreciate any tips to get me off with a good start.

what makes you pick plumbing over other trades ?

Last edited by a moderator:
after being finished in the pits after 30 yrs service i retrained as a brickie at the age of 45, now there isnt a brickies job available in the whole of the uk i have enrooled back at college on plumbing course at the age of 51 so will be 53 when gain c&g.as for 40 being too old , bear in mind you have at least another 25 yrs of work in front of you before you draw the meagre state pension . as for being "nuts"try shovelling coal off a 20" high coal face for dirt and grime and bumped heads.best of luck

Too old at 40? I hope not - I'm 46 and qualified last year. There's another 20 years (for you) until retirement. I tell my customers I'm new and some of them say I look and behave as if I've been doing the job for years. And I'm not that grey!!

Go for it!! And good luck.

hi, i have a mate who is 44, he is in his second year as an apprentice for one of nottinghams premier plumbing firms. robert prettie's.

Go for it mate I started at 30 from the Army I spent a fortune on advertising all a waste of time all you need is a sign written van. If you do a good job don’t take the pee with your prices and can talk to people you’ll find the work will come rolling in you can’t buy the trust people have in a friend recommending you and as for the guy that said £100 a week I think you’ll be presently surprised

That was me that said 100 pounds , I am now making a lot more than that now thank God ! Good luck :)

Just worked out my labour rates I made at the beginning hope it helps, this is starting halfway through Sept 2004 labour only Sept ÂŁ110 Oct ÂŁ0 Nov ÂŁ2064 Dec ÂŁ880 Jan ÂŁ2057 and I was under charging so it can be done just remember the best thing you can do is be honest and keep the customer informed

nah if u are able to lift the tool bag u should be fine - btsc seemed ok but i thought 10 k was too much - i went with OLCI for 5 k for nvq 2 level instead
if u cam crawl under a bath and dont mind being a contortionist under sinks u will be fine LOL
it very varied - it can pay good but u cant screw too many times coz word gets around so make sure u learn as much as u can
it will always be summin to fall back on- i am thinking of doing another business too but u can earn a packet over xmas wiv call outs - he he
oh and earning a hundred pound a week for a year i dont beilive that - u can earn that in half a day
good luck

No, I am 41 and haven't been going for that long. Not earning a fortune but it is improving slowly, I had a very basic tool kit and I seem to be adding to it constantly.

Also bits and bobs, if there not to expensive I will buy 2, you get to know what you use constantly.

Just a quick diversion, I haven't got my van sign written, Does it really help?
Cost? when customers call you do you ask where they got your number.....

I have my van sign written and have had jobs from it usually while i am parked outside someone elses house or leaving it in b and q carpark all afternoon;)

Go for it, i have just completed my 6129 and water regs at NTPS in hyde and i am 43 !! I was an engineer prior to changing career and found the guys at NTPS full of knowledge without doing the hard sell and have been supportive since i have gone on my own.

Hi Guys,
Just following this thread: im 46 and have been in a management postition last26years, always been DIY minded and put my mind to anything. Just a bit concerned if ive left it to late? is the plumbing trade saturated with other plumbers? How long will it take me to learn to become a plumber and be qualifed?

know these are million dollar questions but i need to make sure as this is life changing stuff eh? any help and advice would be much apprechied,( based in the west midlands)

any help or advice would be great, thanks Jon.

Hi Guys,
Just following this thread: im 46 and have been in a management postition last26years, always been DIY minded and put my mind to anything. Just a bit concerned if ive left it to late? is the plumbing trade saturated with other plumbers? How long will it take me to learn to become a plumber and be qualifed?

know these are million dollar questions but i need to make sure as this is life changing stuff eh? any help and advice would be much apprechied,( based in the west midlands)

any help or advice would be great, thanks Jon.

Welcome along Jon :)

Have a search on the forum for this topic. You'll find some interesting reading and might save yourself a fortune.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is 40 too old to become a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock