Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Irrational fear of push fit plumbing? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

I had a new bathroom installed recently. The house uses gravity fed cold from a tank in the loft and hot water from a vented indirect cylinder. We've had shower pumps for many, many years and have never really had leak problems from various pumps except some minor seepage when the pumps got elderly. In the new bathroom the pumped water (4.5 bar) is fed to the shower with Hep2O push fit plumbing in 22mm reducing to 15mm at the shower fittings. I wasn't very happy about this being used but I can see why the plumber used it and by the time I realised this was what was being used it was done and the floor was back down. I know there are advantages to push fit including speed of installation, no hot works in confined spaces with associated fire risk.

I'm a worrier and I can't help but be concerned about the risk of leaks from the push fit. If there was a leak, and there was nobody at home, the leak could be pretty catastrophic. I know the pipes are properly supported, there are no joints under the floor, the joints that there are are accessible and they are well within their design specs to handle what is being asked of them. Somehow I feel uneasy and would rather it was all done in copper and soldered joints as much as possible. I think I'm being irrational though to want it all re-done in copper because the connections to the tails on the pump are push fit anyway! Also push-fit is widely used for mains pressure pipes so what is the difference that it connected to a shower pump anyway....

Am I just being old fashioned and daft? I think I'll isolate the shower pump before going on holiday just to worry a bit less.

2. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If installed correctly, there shouldn’t be a problem. You can get leaks to from copper alternative or compression.

Can I ask why you have a behemoth 4.5bar shower?

3. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

Well it's probably overkill but it has a big rain head (or can be diverted to a more conventional shower handset). Ultimately the idea was that the pump would be able to supply more than one bathroom although that is probably some years away. I prefer baths to showers but if I do use the shower I like to be blasted by it. At some point the bath will be connected to the pump (has a thermostatic mixer) because it is a big bath and takes too long to fill.

4. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Being irrational as said if installed correctly you’re golden

5. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

Just what I wanted to hear. Cheers!

6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Twin pump? If so wouldn't attach to bath.

7. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

Yes twin pump to a thermostatic bath mixer/filler with a shower handset (Burlington Tay). Bath mixer can operate at low pressure but manufacturer says ideally 2 bar minimum.

8. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

I used Hep2 when it first came out in 2003 on my loft conversion....tanks, hot and cold, central heating just as an experiment. No problems in 16 years....enough said. centralheatking

9. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

Good stuff then. I’m glad to hear it. The plumber said he thought it was the best of the plastic push fit systems and the only one he uses.

10. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Active Member

For me it depends what you’re doing with it and how it’s used.

If used as per the manufacturers instructions it’s not bad stuff. Unfortunate it often tends not to be, you see it buried in plaster/concrete, without clips/supports, fittings under a lot of tension etc.

For me it’s second choice to soldered copper but in some jobs it’s the only practical option.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

Ok. Well it’s not buried but it’s under the floor though there are no pipe joints under the floor. It’s a run of 4 or 5 metres and can be easily isolated (lever valves) at the start of the run. Some of my central heating has been in push fit for years and has been no problem except for some tapping when the heating comes on (which can be quite irritating). I was concerned that mice might eat the pipes as they have chewed electrical insulation but we are rodent free at the moment.

12. Rob Foster

I like copper where its seen, under the boiler, and all radiator upstands as it stays straight and will withstand a kicking. The only thing after 16
    years is in some places the hep 2 is turned yellowish...good reason not to display it. Also where pipe has to be seen its quite good fun to really do it well like a good old steam engine.
    centralheatking

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

Yes. I really like copper and I think well executed plumbing is a work of art. Definitely copper when in sight or even chrome plated copper in bathrooms (yes I know take the chrome plating off if it’s going in push fit). Plastic push fit is bulky and ugly if on show or certainly the joints are. I was looking at some old copper plumbing in the house the other day. All soldered but no fittings. Pipes flared and fitted into each other then soldered.

14. Rob Foster

term is swaged ...I still have my
    15mm and 22mm monument swaging tools and internal and external springs you can get different bends round your knee this way
    and stuffed knees centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Copper and soldered joints for me, but lots of plastic plumbing now in houses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1