Search the forum,

Discuss Internal oil tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
This may be just the part of the world I'm in but I can't remember in my working life, seeing an oil tank inside a property before. ( commercial property) I know it's allowed but there are rules.
This one is face to face with the boiler ( 2 foot max away).
steel tank, no bund, no fire chamber/compartment, no ventilation I can see and no fire valve !

has anyone else seen the like ?

Last edited:
Yes. Worst one I know is a bungalow with garage at end. Small metal oil tank of about 1100 litre just above the boiler on purpose built walls in rear of garage. Been like that from the 1960s.

Yes. Worst one I know is a bungalow with garage at end. Small metal oil tank of about 1100 litre just above the boiler on purpose built walls in rear of garage. Been like that from the 1960s.

Sounds a similar sized tank.
The burner needs a new pump but it's around half price of a new burner.

If I end up replacing the burner I'll fit a fire valve, new filter and oil line but what about the tank installation?

It's been in for donkeys years but should it be updated
i.e. Is it a legal requirement or a recommendation

Last edited:
I am guessing, - but think that oil tank should be removed.
Contact OFTEC and ask them what the regs will be. Croppie should also know as he does commercial.
Any work you do obviously should be done with plenty of paperwork to state oil tank is a danger. Personally, I wouldn't do any work to the boiler until I spoke to OFTEC and building control

Recommendation only unfortunately. Document it and cover your a$$ that's all you can do. Last one to touch is responsible.

Probably 95% of the oil tanks I visit don't meet the current regs. Must cost me an extra box of biro's.

'Customer advised :- blah blah blah'

Day tanks should have all kinds of features including the bund.

The most important one is a fire valve which opens in the event of a fire and dumps the oil back into the main tank.

one wonders if anyone working on oil is oftec qualified and know the rules judging by the questions asked at times

Day tanks should have all kinds of features including the bund.

The most important one is a fire valve which opens in the event of a fire and dumps the oil back into the main tank.

Thanks for that Croppie but This isn't a day tank it's the main oil tank.
Emailed Oftec today cos phone line busy.
No reply as yet.

Yes I have a customer with a steel tank in a garage with the boiler alongside it. Its been there for about 40 years. Customer knows if anything needs to be upgraded then a compartment will have to be constructed which means the garage would have to be sacrificed meaning nowhere to put the car (there is no drive as it is directly onto the road and there are double yellow lines along the street, and there is no garden to put the tank in as an alternative). Another customer once had a boiler and tank next to each other in a hay store next to a stable. That was the first job I was asked to sort as their insurance company did a survey when the bought the property.

Regardless of the OFTEC regs, if its a commercial installation then the owner has additional responsibilities under the HASAWA and various Fire Safety Regulations.
They have a statutory duty to ensure that risks to their employees and members of the public are as low as is reasonably practicable.
Installing a new tank and a fire valve seems very reasonable to me.
Saying it was kosher when it was installed wouldn't stand up in court if there was a fire.

Regardless of the OFTEC regs, if its a commercial installation then the owner has additional responsibilities under the HASAWA and various Fire Safety Regulations.
They have a statutory duty to ensure that risks to their employees and members of the public are as low as is reasonably practicable.
Installing a new tank and a fire valve seems very reasonable to me.
Saying it was kosher when it was installed wouldn't stand up in court if there was a fire.

I agree. Spoke to OFTEC Tech. Pretty much what I thought and what a few before said.
Document it, advise the owner etc.

There have always been rules regs and plain common sense where things like this are concerned. If I had seen it 30 years ago, I would have thought it a bad installation and its not something I would have ever done myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Internal oil tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Been in property about 10 years and the valve on the (round/bunded) Balmoral tank has always been in pretty rusty state. Tank is 5,000 litres but only got about 300L left at the moment. Please see picture. Looking for opinions on whether to get valve/filter assembly replaced due to rust or if I...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm hoping to get some advice. I moved into a new build house a few years ago. A Firebird Silverpac external oil boiler (kabin pak type) was installed which is situated on top of the detached garage base - I've now decided to build the garage meaning the boiler will be now be located...
Replies
Views
E
Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find an answer to my questions. I have a back boiler and gas fire which h has been serviced regularly over the years by different engineers with no issues. Last time , the guy wanted to condem it due to not being compliant with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock