Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Intermittent slow draining toilet in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Mike Renwick

Mike Renwick New Member

My downstairs toilet has suddenly started draining slowly (it's been fine since we moved in 3 years ago). It now take about half a minute to empty the bowl, and doesn't cope well with solid waste/toilet paper. At first I thought it was a blockage, as it seems to clear it after a good plunging. However, I come back to it some time later and it's back to draining slowly? This has been going on for weeks. It's the fact that it's so intermittent that's confusing me. Even without use it will go back to draining slowly...?
    Tried plunging (various types), drain snake (useless), drain cleaner (no effect).
    Any ideas?

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Blockage somewhere. Have you lifted the manhole cover outside and had a look see?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mike Renwick

Mike Renwick New Member

I haven't managed to get the cover off. The screws are jammed in on one side... Not sure I'd know what to do if i could get it off? Sounds like that may be the next stage though?

Thanks

4. Harvest Fields

I would say so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Get a jetter company out. Sounds like a blockage further down

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harvest Fields

Don’t need a jetter. Some decent rods will fix that :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Should do, even if it doesn't it's character building!
    ;);)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Depends on blockage. Tree roots - no chance, Wipes - optimistic, fat/grease - will take some doing. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Never a single puking emoji when you want TWO at least :(

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

82FF1008-ADEF-4F14-8DDE-443048F6D20A.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Mike Renwick

Mike Renwick New Member

Thanks for the input. I reckon if I can get the cover off this weekend and can't see anything I'll get Dynorod to flush it...

12. WC1

WC1 Active Member

If you can't see anything then lift the next lid. Get a recommended local guy once you've had a good look. Recommend not to use dyno rod.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HoodedClaw

HoodedClaw Plumber

I always get the customer to have a look at what blocked it - only one has thrown up :) All stopped throwing baby/toilet wipes down it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HoodedClaw

HoodedClaw Plumber

Just had a thought, reminds my of a broken AAV/Durgo. Does it have an external stack or internal vent?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike Renwick

Mike Renwick New Member

Sorry not sure what that means? However, I managed to get the cover off and found the problem. Looks like several drains running into one which is blocked somewhere - "toilet paper soup". At least I know it's not a problem between the toilet and there!
    I might have a go at unblocking with a 6ft "drain snake" I bought for the loo (but found it was too big to get round the bend). Other than that I'm not sure even who to call. I have drain cover through BG but I think that only covers the house bounderies. This looks like it could be further down the pipes :-( (?Yorkshire water)