Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittent heating from rads on ground floor - no issues with 1st floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hope it's permissible to request some input here...

I live in a rented flat in London. We have two floors, ground and 1st, with radiator heating. The boiler is working fine (I believe) and we have plenty of hot water (radiator temp set at and hold at 73C). Four rads on the 1st floor are merrily putting out plenty of heat. Three of those four have TRVs on them, the other is "normal/manual" valve. On the ground floor we have two rads. One is TRV, the other is manual. The boiler is also on the ground floor.

We have always had issues with the rad in the dining room (manual). Until we turned the system down to leave for Xmas, the rad in the living room seemed fine. When I returned from Xmas, neither of the two were working. Again, 1st floor all fine. I called in the property agent's plumber yesterday, who indicated he adjusted one rad. Unfortunately I was at work so I don't know what exactly he did. When I got home, both rads were working.

This morning, once again, neither are working, and the air temp on ground floor is 14C (upstairs probably >20C). I can feel that the hot water line-in on both is cold. On the one in the living room, I can feel that it is at least warm about 7-8 ft from the rad, gradually growing cooler. I cannot do the same check for the one in the dining room as the line runs under the floor.

The valves on both are wide open (TRV on dining room is set to max/6). All I can guess is that something is preventing hot water from entering these rads. Obviously what the plumber did yesterday worked, but only temporarily.

What could this issue be caused by?

What boiler you got?
Have the rads ever worked properly?

Vaillant EcoTec 24 Pro.

They haven't worked properly since we moved in in November. For the majority of the time we've been here, the one in the living room has worked.

UPDATE: The one in the living room is working now, for whatever reason. I went out today and it was cold, came back tonight, hot. It is the one in the dining room that refuses to work.

I appreciate the thought. The plumber that came yesterday was theirs. I would like to see if I can remedy it myself or at least get a lead on what's going on, as any plumber they send will not have the familiarity with the issue I do.
A decent engineer will spend the time listening to the boiler/radiator issues that you have.

Certainly. Valves as well for good measure.

I've just noticed the clock on the boiler is wrong. However, it is set to "on", not timed mode, so I don't think it would matter? I haven't adjusted the clock and apparently neither did the plumber who was here yesterday. And of course the temp is controlled by the thermostat, which is set to go on to 19.5C in the morning and then down to 15C at bedtime.

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

could be a balancing issue but best just pester the landlord

Are both valves on that rad fully open?

Yes they are. And I've diddled with them a bit as well.

could be a balancing issue but best just pester the landlord

Quick Google suggests this may be exactly it. I'd try to get into it myself but the rads are old and painted over, and not even all the same, and I don't have many tools. Unless there's more advice to be had here I think it will probably have to be escalated again.

The only thing you could do. Is turn all the others off and run just that one for a couple of hours then turn the others back on one at a time until they start getting hot?

The only thing you could do. Is turn all the others off and run just that one for a couple of hours then turn the others back on one at a time until they start getting hot?

To be clear, with the isolation/lockshield valves, right? Some have "innie" slot/blade screwdriver-style, not nibs/nipples like what I'm seeing on Youtube (I assume the newer style). I assume it's still a right to close, left to open thing. (Dumb questions but don't want to be mucking this thing up more.)

I should clarify that I come from a country where forced air heating is much more common than hot water... so these systems are pretty new to me.

sounds like iso valves

Yup. Two pics of the isolator, one with cap, one without, plus one of the TRV, so you know what's on the other end. This is the one in the living room (working fine today). Several upstairs are similar. No nipples to twist.

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

One. I also have a Drayton TRV, a Regis TRV, and a 4th that looks like the Honeywell but I'm not sure because it's somewhat hard to see (behind a chest of drawers).

Six rads total in the house. Four TRV. Two manual.

So before you made your last post, I went around and turned down, although not off, several of the TRVs. Lo and behold, it worked. The previously-cold rad is now putting out at least some heat. I am going to go and turn down the manual valve upstairs as well, since it's plenty warm up there.

Does this mean, basically, the boiler isn't of sufficient size, or the water flow through the house isn't efficient enough, to heat everything at once, so the hot water stalls in the system before reaching the badly-performing rad?

So before you made your last post, I went around and turned down, although not off, several of the TRVs. Lo and behold, it worked. The previously-cold rad is now putting out at least some heat. I am going to go and turn down the manual valve upstairs as well, since it's plenty warm up there.

Does this mean, basically, the boiler isn't of sufficient size, or the water flow through the house isn't efficient enough, to heat everything at once, so the hot water stalls in the system before reaching the badly-performing rad?

Sounds more like a balancing issue, so some rads are taking out too much heat and not leaving enough heat in the water for your problem rad. By balancing (i.e. in this case reducing) the flow through the other radiators your problem rad has heated up. With a bit more tweaking you should be able to get this to work properly.

Reply to Intermittent heating from rads on ground floor - no issues with 1st floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
We shifted to a new house with 3 floors. The boiler is in the attic. We have problem with the ground floor radiators which is not heating at all. When we shifted a plumber removed one radiator in the ground floor we are not sure if that is the reason. Its a one pipe heating system. So many...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock