Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss insurance for 17year old in the Insurance for Plumbers area at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dom brennan

    dom brennan Plumber GSR

    does anyone know a good insurance for a small van eg transit connect for a 17 year old Ive got 9 months no claims and done my pass plus. been quoted 10,000 plus
  2. Killy Bing

    Killy Bing Plumber GSR

    pass plus is useless when you got for a commercial vehicle :)

    wait three months to hit a year and you will see a drop.
    best chanc is convincing your family to go over to admiral multi car and then go though them.
    they wont insure you but they have a partner company that will as if you also had the multi policy discount.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alex Knight

    Alex Knight Active Member

    Try adding a parent as a named driver, dropped my car insurance by about 300
  4. Killy Bing

    Killy Bing Plumber GSR

    and ideally wait till you're 18 .
  5. lame plumber

    lame plumber Guest

    mum and sister on car and it plummets. youngest got her first car at 17, used my name as owner, and added some no claims I had fm another vehicle, it was a seat somthing sport in screaming yellow!, £300 3rd party fire and theft through Quinn, and she was declared to be the main driver!!

    year later her older sister got her clio and Quinn wanted £3000!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
  6. Ray Stafford

    Ray Stafford Guest

    Yep, same advice - add parent or grandparent as named driver. When my daughter first had a car, we got her insurance down from just under 3 grand to about £1100 by adding me and her grandmother as named drivers.

    It does help if the oldies have a good track record and no points or recent claims.
  7. dom brennan

    dom brennan Plumber GSR

    thanks guys i will ring my mums insurance tomorrow
  8. Jacko

    Jacko Guest

    i did mine thorugh aviva ive got a transit van my first year was £1200 and now £800 with low excess aswell
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Stafford

    Ray Stafford Guest

    Hi Dom.

    Just to be clear - what we are suggesting is that you take out the policy in your own name, but with a parent or other low risk older adult as a named driver. For some reason the computer models that the insurance companies use to assess risk (and therefore £premiums) seem to give a big reduction for this. It is completely legal.

    It is not the same as taking out a policy in your parents name, and adding you as a named driver, when you own the vehicle and are actually the main driver. This is a form of insurance fraud called "fronting", and is not only illegal, but also counter productive if you ever have an accident. The loss adjuster will suss it out in less than a minute, and your policy is void if obtained by giving false information.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. snowhead

    snowhead Well-Known Member

    And you don't build up your own N.C.D if it's fronted.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. WHPES

    WHPES Trusted Plumber GSR

    "Fronting" is classed as insurance fraud and any insurance policy would be invalid. Your parents would actually have to own the vehicle and have it registered under their name, with you on as a named driver.
Similar Threads - insurance 17year Forum Date
Adding tool cover to public liability insurance- is it worth it? Insurance for Plumbers Jan 30, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.