Search the forum,

Discuss insulating plastic pipe (hep)???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nick penfold

Hey all!

A question!

Currently about to perform a first fix. 2 bathrooms, cloak, kitchen, boiler, blah blah blah.

Were gonna use plastic instead of copper for all underfloor work. My brother (older, wiser and doesn't let me forget), Says we need to insulate it.

Granted its outside of the heat envelope but i thought one of the major benefits of plastic other than speed of fitting was its expansion properties. i mean the way it will expand if the pipes were to freeze.

I suppose the insulation would prevent it from freezing altogether so not stop the flow.
i guess im hoping one of you GURU types could explain to me a bit more the pros and cons of using plastic and the reasons for insulating it.

Thanks for any replies

Nick

plastic pipe! cheaper, faster, less joints,

I would still insulate under the floor (ground floor only) even if the plastic pipe expands where there are joints there are weak points if you open a T or any other joint there is a rubber seal, a grab ring a palstic sleave all of them expand at different rates why take the risk just to save around £10.

Insulate them all :)

Make sure you put your hot pipes above your cold to prevent any bacteria growth in the cold distribution pipes.

All pipes in the attic, draughty areas around the house and outside should be insulated as part of water regs. So you might as well just do them all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to insulating plastic pipe (hep)???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock