Search the forum,

Discuss Incorrect boiler installation ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've recently had a new boiler fitted under the ECO scheme.
The engineer that carried out the installation was in a constant rush.
After the installation he checked all the radiators were hot but I pointed out a loud banging/gurgling noise. He said it was air in the system which would settle down.
However after he had gone it kept occuring and I realised it was boiling water in the feed/expansion tank which was overflowing through the overflow pipe.
On further investigation I think the pump is on the return rather than flow pipe which I am thinking would cause the overheating problem.
Should I have the same engineer back or would you suggest another plumber?
Could this have damaged the boiler (it is a Worcester ri erp+ standard boiler)
Thanks in advance, Ril

I can’t see why putting the pump on the return or the flow would cause overheating of the boiler.
The feed and expansion tank could be getting a pump over from the system, which your installer should have made sure was not possible.
Would be good if a trusted engineer could eyeball the boiler plus wiring and pipework before you call the guy back. He is responsible for having it operating properly.
I am not gas qualified, but some of the gas folk on here will advise

My understanding of eco schemes and grants is that the fitter is only given a certain amount of time/money to do the job - might explain the rushing.

How much work did he actually do? In my limited knowledge of these the scheme only funds the boiler replacement and anything else is to be funded by the homeowner, did he replace the pump?

How much work did he actually do? In my limited knowledge of these the scheme only funds the boiler replacement and anything else is to be funded by the homeowner, did he replace the pump?
The grant my grandparents got was for boiler, filter, pump, 3 port and new timer stat etc. They didn't flush the system though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick replies on a Saturday evening.
I've took a picture of the installation if it helps.
The pump flow is left to right.
I have clipped the temperature dials on the pipes.
Thanks.

20190427_200911.jpg

The grant my grandparents got was for boiler, filter, pump, 3 port and new timer stat etc. They didn't flush the system though :rolleyes:

I knew a guy who did a load of them, mainly combi’s but a few heat only’s, was told that anything other than the boiler/flue/small amount of pipework and fittings/timer-stat was down to the homeowner to pay for, it wasn’t unusual for him to charge for running a new gas pipe, plus they only got 4hours to do a full job, no wonder your grandparents fit never got flushed.

I knew a guy who did a load of them, mainly combi’s but a few heat only’s, was told that anything other than the boiler/flue/small amount of pipework and fittings/timer-stat was down to the homeowner to pay for, it wasn’t unusual for him to charge for running a new gas pipe, plus they only got 4hours to do a full job, no wonder your grandparents fit never got flushed.
Suppose it depends on the company offering the grant. 4 hours is ridiculous though. Realistically all your going to attract is cowboys to undertake this sort of work.

The engineer is due to come back next week so I will let him have a look then.
Do you think I am safe to use it in the meantime?
I've just turned the heat setting right down and it is working but not getting really hot.
Thanks again.

The engineer is due to come back next week so I will let him have a look then.
Do you think I am safe to use it in the meantime?
I've just turned the heat setting right down and it is working but not getting really hot.
Thanks again.
Not sure to be honest. The flow direction of the pump is wrong and the return pipework also looks wrong, because the water isn't going to circulate properly the boiler will constantly overheat and shut down. Because of the incorrect installation the warranty will also be void. I personally would turn it off until the problem is corrected.

Not sure to be honest. The flow direction of the pump is wrong and the return pipework also looks wrong, because the water isn't going to circulate properly the boiler will constantly overheat and shut down. Because of the incorrect installation the warranty will also be void. I personally would turn it off until the problem is corrected.
Agree 100% with that. Hopefully he's out first thing on Monday to swap the pipes around.

Even through eco, its part of the warranty to flush the whole system!!! Otherwise voids all warranty by manufacture. These plonkers who do these eco schemes are given ÂŁ500 to convert and swap and rush. Ive seen them rush in and do a 3 day job in 1 day. It just doesnt work and no wonder i get called to these installs for faults. The scheme is a Sod take.

Even through eco, its part of the warranty to flush the whole system!!! Otherwise voids all warranty by manufacture. These plonkers who do these eco schemes are given ÂŁ500 to convert and swap and rush. Ive seen them rush in and do a 3 day job in 1 day. It just doesnt work and no wonder i get called to these installs for faults. The scheme is a **** take.
I think sometimes the installer is only given a day too, so that the customer isn't left without the use of their boiler. One of my ex work colleagues when he set up on his own, signed up to install for a local housing authority. He needed the work initially so accepted it but he was only allowed a day for a boiler swap and was only paid for 1 day. Not the same as an eco grant but they probably work on the same principles.

Sorry 3 days for a heat only changeover that’s ridiculous, 4 hours is possible depending size £500 for less than a days work then I wouldn’t be in a rush
Filter on flow isn’t a problem, not efficient allows contamination through boiler before collection but acceptable in manufacturer instructions
Pump definitely in wrong position and wrong direction
Why fit a drain point above boiler when it’s already built in (not relevant but questions knowledge of boiler)
What size ri is fitted and how many rads as boiler could be too powerful, what boiler was removed
Is Automatic bypass correctly fitted
List could be endless

Sorry 3 days for a heat only changeover that’s ridiculous, 4 hours is possible depending size £500 for less than a days work then I wouldn’t be in a rush
Filter on flow isn’t a problem, not efficient allows contamination through boiler before collection but acceptable in manufacturer instructions
Pump definitely in wrong position and wrong direction
Why fit a drain point above boiler when it’s already built in (not relevant but questions knowledge of boiler)
What size ri is fitted and how many rads as boiler could be too powerful, what boiler was removed
Is Automatic bypass correctly fitted
List could be endless

4 hours including a flush no way

I’ve never done the schemes but I guarantee they will at least supply just a cleaner and inhibitor, magnaclean will not be mentioned or chargeable if wanted, now what does manufacturers describe as a flush, drain system, cold flush then hot flush with chemicals, drain and add inhibitor they don’t specify magnaclean so as much as you don’t like it and it’s not my personal preference, I think you can now agree it can be done

I’ve never done the schemes but I guarantee they will at least supply just a cleaner and inhibitor, magnaclean will not be mentioned or chargeable if wanted, now what does manufacturers describe as a flush, drain system, cold flush then hot flush with chemicals, drain and add inhibitor they don’t specify magnaclean so as much as you don’t like it and it’s not my personal preference, I think you can now agree it can be done

they will say the water td quality

Reply to Incorrect boiler installation ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need some advice please. My Baxi boiler went recently faulty. A Baxi engineer came and fixed it in 10 minutes, he said that the ignition lead was connected incorrectly. He said that although the boiler was working, it was struggling until it failed. The boiler was serviced 2 months ago by a...
Replies
Views
I have a Navian boiler with an iFlow air system that provides air around the house via high velocity conduit. It's just over a 1 year old property and I just moved in and found the heating suboptimal. I have had a plumber indicate the system is designed and installed incorrectly, which the...
Replies
Views
H
I need some help and advice with a boiler issue. We have F29 and then F29 appearing on our new boiler. This happened after few days where water was dripping from the condensation pipe. Our regular gas engineer(who installed the boiler) was not available and will be in a couple of days. The...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock