Search the forum,

Discuss immersion heater question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I bought a 1kw immersion element as I am off grid and need to replace the existing one and use a lower power than 3kw

I have not fitted it yet as some of the rods look too close and may touch with scaling up or a slight bending over time.

The gap is about 2mm.

Is this anything to worry about

B466F613-5A46-4259-8BBA-26B3C94C5320.jpeg

04986444-4695-4EEF-B8A3-3B19AB21BABA.jpeg

What’s your concerns?

Is it electrical arcing by any chance...? If so, don’t worry, electricity isn’t directly charged into the water of your cylinder....!!! It might make you dance every time you touched a tap!

The heating element is the “U” shape one, it has a coil inside which is completely electrically insulated inside the u shape tube. The straight single “rod” is a “dry pocket” for the thermostat to sit in. Even if they touched, nothing would happen.... apart from maybe throwing the stat reading out slightly due to direct element contact...? But that’s not gonna make a difference.

Hope that helps!

Stu.

Reply to immersion heater question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently posted to request information about supply of a "dual Immersion heater". Two members kindly replied with helpful advice. I tried to respond with thanks but the system persistently refused to accept this; quoting: "Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content...
Replies
Views
Hello Thank you for joining me I really hope someone can help me here I am having a problem with this immersion heater on the picture, I can't turn it on. I had an electrician coming about 1 month ago, he did set it to turn on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening but I...
Replies
Views
E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a smart meter installed. The dual immersion heater and has two separate switches - one is labelled top. I’ve had them both on since moving in but just seen...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have a 20 year old Megaflo CL250 indirect hot water tank that I typically heat with an oil-fired boiler. It has locations for two immersion heaters (one at the base of the tank and the other halfway up). Only the lower immersion is installed and the other (halfway up the tank) is...
Replies
Views
Hello all I'm replacing 2 unvented cylinder a which are (a) end of life and (b) installed in a way which is clearly not right (no 2 port shut off valve on the heating coils just for a start, and there are other issues). The heating coils are currently controlled with 3 port valves that are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock