Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss immersion heater question in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. harry011

harry011 New Member

Hi, I bought a 1kw immersion element as I am off grid and need to replace the existing one and use a lower power than 3kw

I have not fitted it yet as some of the rods look too close and may touch with scaling up or a slight bending over time.

The gap is about 2mm.

Is this anything to worry about

B466F613-5A46-4259-8BBA-26B3C94C5320.jpeg

04986444-4695-4EEF-B8A3-3B19AB21BABA.jpeg

2. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

It looks ok to me. Have you read the instructions for any guidance on that?

3. harry011

harry011 New Member

I don’t think there was any paperwork with it.

I just wondered if a plumber would expect some movement of the rods or scaling up over time?

4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Fine mate

• Like Like x 1
  5. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The loop will heat the straight will be the thermostat

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

What’s your concerns?

Is it electrical arcing by any chance...? If so, don’t worry, electricity isn’t directly charged into the water of your cylinder..!!! It might make you dance every time you touched a tap!

The heating element is the “U” shape one, it has a coil inside which is completely electrically insulated inside the u shape tube. The straight single “rod” is a “dry pocket” for the thermostat to sit in. Even if they touched, nothing would happen.. apart from maybe throwing the stat reading out slightly due to direct element contact...? But that’s not gonna make a difference.

Hope that helps!

Stu.

7. harry011

harry011 New Member

I was concerned about some kind of arcing but from what you say is not a problem

Thanks for your help

• Like Like x 2
  8. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

Definitely not a problem my friend, your just going to be waiting a while for the water to heat up!

Stu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is that for an unvented cylinder?

10. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You need to make sure you can use that immersion in your cylinder. There are many different types

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. S.P.S.

S.P.S. GSR

That’s a point, didn’t see the 1 3/4 thread! I was more concerned about the age old electricity into water worry!

Stu.

• Funny Funny x 1