Search the forum,

Discuss Illegal hot water tank install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

When replacing a hot water tank, how many peeps notify BC. Maybe you should, but replacing an existing unit.... How many do?
Agreed but it causes problems if you should want to sell the property the solicitor will want to see that certificate of compliance and a paper trail back to the installer it helps to keep the installations to a certain standard, but many get fitted and forgot about as you say. Kop

Agreed but it causes problems if you should want to sell the property the solicitor will want to see that certificate of compliance and a paper trail back to the installer it helps to keep the installations to a certain standard, but many get fitted and forgot about as you say. Kop
Lord help me here then, House is 60 years old and very little in the way of "certification". Whether work carried out "professionally" or by me.

Also ever tried making a warrantee claim on an unregistered cylinder (or for that matter a boiler).

I don't think householders realises that it is their responsibility as the owner to ensure work that requires notification is.

It is a shame a few more of them are prosecuted when this doesn't happen, it might make the rest think twice about employing those that can't or don't self certifier!!
It would also maybe encourage those who don't do things properly to do so.!!

Also ever tried making a warrantee claim on an unregistered cylinder (or for that matter a boiler).

I don't think householders realises that it is their responsibility as the owner to ensure work that requires notification is.

It is a shame a few more of them are prosecuted when this doesn't happen, it might make the rest think twice about employing those that can't or don't self certifier!!
It would also maybe encourage those who don't do things properly to do so.!!

Without disagreeing, how many householders know all the intracasies of plummbing law, gas law, building regs, etc?
Is that not the reason to go to those that should?

Without disagreeing, how many householders know all the intracasies of plummbing law, gas law, building regs, etc?
Is that not the reason to go to those that should?
Absolutely, the problem as we know is anyone in this country can call themselves a Plumber so Joe public can't see the wood from the trees.

I did make the Law of the Land all I can tell you, & them, is that the first port of call for a prosecution for a breach of them is the property owner. And just saying I employed someone calling themselves a Plumber would not be seen as a defence on its own.

Absolutely, the problem as we know is anyone in this country can call themselves a Plumber so Joe public can't see the wood from the trees.

I did make the Law of the Land all I can tell you, & them, is that the first port of call for a prosecution for a breach of them is the property owner. And just saying I employed someone calling themselves a Plumber would not be seen as a defence on its own.
you might find that if someone was trading as a plumber, they might be considered as an "expert".

They might very well be & then again they might be a 2 week wonder learning at as they go. Unfortunately they have no effective way of telling one from the other, hence all the problems in this industry.
Same with gas installers too, I have never once been asked to see my gas safe I.D card. Too many customers either don't care or are too trusting with taking the plumbers/engineers word.

“Someone suggested that if a house is sold the solicitor will want a complete chain of certification”. Being involved with two house purchases recently, this doesn’t seem to be the case. If there is any case of something missing then the vendors solicitor will arrange indemnity insurance, so that if building regs become aware of anything untoward, then the policy will pay to put things right. As long as you don’t dig too far and ask buildings regs before purchase about any probs you might suspect. Most old houses would have something not complying, if you dig too far and ask too many questions you couldn’t buy a house.

A friend sold her house and her solicitor got an indemnity insurance for the electrics. Presumably this is cheaper and easier to do then getting wiring inspected and faults fixed.

I will make a post entitled “fixed 2l per min underfloor leak” and detail some nasties I came across.

Those that do it properly
Now that’s where I have a problem. I have replaced our HWT (about 30 years ago) and I never notified BC, because I only found out that I should yesterday, on here.
Although not a trained plumber, I did the job as well as, if not better, than many a “professional”. That could be due to being a Chartered Engineer.

And that’s how you poke the bears. If you’d had the necessary training and installation experience you’d have known the rules re notification. Being an engineer does not give you the right to do what you like and bypass licenses to work. Competence is key and you’ve proved you didn’t have it

Last edited:
And that’s how you poke the bears. If you’d had the necessary training and installation experience you’d have known better. Being an engineer does not give you the right to do what you like
I agree entirely, but I do have, at least an understanding of the principles involved and this was a “like for like” replacement.
I am not having a dig at you guys, just saying that I was not aware before yesterday of any requirement.
I realise that there are also professionals that are professional and have pride in their work. I also have been caught out by cowboys, like the OP and had to redo work to make it acceptable.
This is a really helpful forum and will continue to learn.

It’s when you start adding things like “professionals”. We get a lot of engineers on here who think they are holier than thou and think they can’t be touched and supposedly know how to turn their hand to anything. Pure and simply we all have to do and renew our qualifications to ensure that we are up to speed with current legislation so why should these engineers be allowed to think that they are above the law, which is essentially what they do. I’m not saying that all plumbers are the same in terms of quality but the governing bodies could do so much more to educate the public as much as have a go heroes as to who they need for the job and the qualifications that they require.

In response I’m not having a go at you but a little respect please, as you’ve realised, you need relevant training to understand these facets from the pipework and sizing all the way down to the necessary commissioning and notification documentation. You saying you understand the principles is like me saying I understand what keeps a plane in the air however an aviation engineer I am not

It’s when you start adding things like “professionals”. We get a lot of engineers on here who think they are holier than thou and think they can’t be touched and supposedly know how to turn their hand to anything. Pure and simply we all have to do and renew our qualifications to ensure that we are up to speed with current legislation so why should these engineers be allowed to think that they are above the law, which is essentially what they do. I’m not saying that all plumbers are the same in terms of quality but the governing bodies could do so much more to educate the public as much as have a go heroes as to who they need for the job and the qualifications that they require.
My use of the term professional was merely to define someone that was in the business of plumbing as an occupation, rather than a mere amateur home owner such as myself.
As I said I wasn’t having a dig. Although I am sure we can all agree that the quality of work carried out by professionals in all occupations varies immensely

And that’s how you poke the bears. If you’d had the necessary training and installation experience you’d have known the rules re notification. Being an engineer does not give you the right to do what you like and bypass licenses to work. Competence is key and you’ve proved you didn’t have it

Remind me, what were the rules for notification of replacement of an existing hot water systems in 1989?

That’s not really the point I’m making chuck this is an open forum and people skim read threads as you know just looking for the information they want to read. As per the poster they haven’t said whether it was vented or unvented and I may be wrong but if it’s unvented these have been notifiable for donkeys years

Vented

Don’t tar everyone with the same brush.

If you go down that route why not make this forum only accessible to professional plumbers!

That’s not the point and it wasn’t a dig at you my friend. We have numerous people with 0 experience ask a question, then ask it another way because they don’t like the answer then ask it again because we will still not give them the info they want. Sometimes it’s best (legal) to have a pro in. In your instance you are absolutely fine venteds only became notifiable relatively recently

Last edited:
That’s not the point and it wasn’t a dig at you my friend. We have numerous people with 0 experience ask a question, then ask it another way because they don’t like the answer then ask it again because we will still not give them the info they want. Sometimes it’s best (legal) to have a pro in. In your instance you are absolutely fine venteds only became notifiable relatively recently
I understand entirely. Being heavily involved in another forum, it happens all too regularly... also the same Q repeated ad nauseam.:(
I have also run a business for 35 years and have had my fair share of “customers” asking lots of q’s and then, armed with the info, going elsewhere with the spec, ‘cos it’s cheaper. Or those that let you spend three days on job then complain ‘cos “my mate could have done that quicker and cheaper”. Or indeed having to spend three days on a one day job to fix the customers cock up!
These fora are to help peeps, and I will continue to ask advice, and I don’t mind if the answer is “ it’s not as simple as that - yu need to sort out flow rates/pressure drop/ run lengths - please call in a qualified plumber.” That’s why I ask the “Professionals” :)

I understand entirely. Being heavily involved in another forum, it happens all too regularly... also the same Q repeated ad nauseam.:(
I have also run a business for 35 years and have had my fair share of “customers” asking lots of q’s and then, armed with the info, going elsewhere with the spec, ‘cos it’s cheaper. Or those that let you spend three days on job then complain ‘cos “my mate could have done that quicker and cheaper”. Or indeed having to spend three days on a one day job to fix the customers cock up!
These fora are to help peeps, and I will continue to ask advice, and I don’t mind if the answer is “ it’s not as simple as that - yu need to sort out flow rates/pressure drop/ run lengths - please call in a qualified plumber.” That’s why I ask the “Professionals” :)
Wish more people were like yourself

Ah but you’ve proven yourself to be a reasonable “engineer” rather than the “it’s not rocket science” type ;)

If its all up to spec surely it's no bother to get a g3 in to give it a service Of course there is a cost but that should be minimal if it's all good. Peace of mind for everyone. And adds value when the house is sold.

If its all up to spec surely it's no bother to get a g3 in to give it a service Of course there is a cost but that should be minimal if it's all good. Peace of mind for everyone. And adds value when the house is sold.
Agreed but I think this shouldn’t detract from those persons installing illegally. It does nothing to disincentivise them that someone will just come along afterwards and sort it to a standard. There is no comeback when there should be

Reply to Illegal hot water tank install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock