Search the forum,

Discuss If i don't have MET1 what can't i do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Msjc

Gas Engineer
So i dont have MET1 and i was wondering what i won't be able to do by not having it. Does this mean i just can't install or commission meters?

Correct

Can’t install or move meters

Can i still cap meters, or take them off?

Cap them yes take them off ?? Suppliers can only remove as it’s there property

Thank you, reason i was asking is because i am going to sit my cookers and fires exam and i was under the belief that i was getting met1 too, but apparently not and want an extra 120 quid. But seeming as im not installing meters it wont matter much.

As per firemant, you can remove and refit for hot works covered in CCN1. From many a conversation with gas safe over this, you can’t alter the position, even on the semi-rigid stainless steel connector (anaconda flex), which requires MET1. Gas safe technical bulletin 127 gives some good guidance. IMO.

You might not be installing meters but may get asked to move one, which you need MET1.

I wasn’t 100% sure on this either as going by training and assesments you’re told to always remove the meter and put it in a safe place if you’re soldering ok the installation pipework but surely that’s classed as meter work, sounds similar to not needing CKR1 to remove and refit a cooker as long as it’s going back in the same place but you do need it if it’s being moved

You do need ckr1 to remove and refit don't You? Because your employed to do so you need to hold the relevant qualification.
I may be wrong mate but I thought you didn’t as long as it’s out and in the same place, I know the homeowner is defo allowed to do it which is crazy imo
You do need ckr1 to remove and refit don't You? Because your employed to do so you need to hold the relevant qualification.
You could be rite there mate thinking about it, I think it’s technical bulletin 0.25?
If it’s out and back in same place it’s not deemed gas work so an in registered person can do it but if your doing it while at work you must be competent.. it’s a pretty stupid reg imo

I may be wrong mate but I thought you didn’t as long as it’s out and in the same place, I know the homeowner is defo allowed to do it which is crazy imo

You could be rite there mate thinking about it, I think it’s technical bulletin 0.25?
If it’s out and back in same place it’s not deemed gas work so an in registered person can do it but if your doing it while at work you must be competent.. it’s a pretty stupid reg imo
Didn’t mean to reply twice , started my reply then got distracted and started a new reply thinking I’d lost my original one :rolleyes:

Agree it's stupid. We had this discussion a few weeks back. And yes it is tb 025. It's not specific to cookers either. It says temporarily disconnecting a self sealing fitting. So if a hob is attached to a bayonet, they technically a customer can remove and refit that too.

It is a bit bonkers, yet exists. When I remove a cooker (eg for another trade to lay a floor) I have to make sure that there is no accidental release of gas. When I asked gas safe in this they stated that a self sealing connection is not acceptable as a child can “play” with the fitting. Contractor removes cooker, just as a minimum has to ldf fitting and can leave as is. :mad:

I would have thought you only need CkR1 to “work” on the appliance - install, service, repair etc, but removing from a self sealing fitting is not regarded as work and normal check and relight should suffice. If it’s going back in the same place as long as there is no safety issue, eg scorch marks. I was even told by gas safe that there is no need to check to safety shut off (lid) as you’re not working on the appliance.

The work on meters is covered in L56 of the GSIUR as being regarded as gas work, if it was classed as meter work then I suppose you couldn’t cap a supply off, add a meter bracket or re-pipe from the meter outlet either.:confused:

It is a bit bonkers, yet exists. When I remove a cooker (eg for another trade to lay a floor) I have to make sure that there is no accidental release of gas. When I asked gas safe in this they stated that a self sealing connection is not acceptable as a child can “play” with the fitting. Contractor removes cooker, just as a minimum has to ldf fitting and can leave as is. :mad:

I would have thought you only need CkR1 to “work” on the appliance - install, service, repair etc, but removing from a self sealing fitting is not regarded as work and normal check and relight should suffice. If it’s going back in the same place as long as there is no safety issue, eg scorch marks. I was even told by gas safe that there is no need to check to safety shut off (lid) as you’re not working on the appliance.

The work on meters is covered in L56 of the GSIUR as being regarded as gas work, if it was classed as meter work then I suppose you couldn’t cap a supply off, add a meter bracket or re-pipe from the meter outlet either.:confused:

Without MET1, you cannot add anything to the meter.
The outlet is NOT part of the meter installation - which is why you CAN use 2 anacondas. The belief that the outlet anaconda is part of the meter install is the root of much confusion.

I know about the 2 anacondas, and the meter outlet. There was a useful back to basics section in RGI that had a picture of meter installation.

Reply to If i don't have MET1 what can't i do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock