Search the forum,

Discuss identify glow worm part? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sasik

My Customer have a Glow Worm 24ci Combi and one of the components is broken. I am trying to identify the part.
The leaking part is between the water to water heat exchanger and the dhw out let. The black plastic body of the part is cracked and leaking water. Please let me know if you new what is the faulty part is?
Thanks

if its part of the housing its the hydroblock, if you could post a pic of it i could tell you for sure. i know the 30 cxi had a problem with the dhw outlet side of the hydroblock splitting due to the plastic( hot and cold temperatures ), the 24 ci hydroblock does look very similar to the 30 cxi, glow worm used to change these parts for the customers free of charge as it was a design fault (the new ones have a bit of 15 mm copper for the dhw to go through. Try calling glow worm to see if they will change it as its a pig to fit and very expensive!

I attached an image of the leaking part in the glow worm boiler (24
ci
). The part in question is the black plastic in the center of the picture (it's got a
little
purple dot on the top).

Thanks

Attachments

• glow worm leaking part.jpg
    glow worm leaking part.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that's the hot water outlet of the hydro block, your parts supplier probably wont have a part number for this so i would ring glow worm technical and see if they will supply the part ( maybe get it free as it is a manufacturing fault ) or at least give you a part number so you can order the part, the g.c number i think is 47 047 19 for the boiler. Let me us know how you get on. Glow worm technical 01773 828300

Last edited:
I have just been looking for info on the gw 30cxi as my boiler has just sprung a leak in the same place as this. i have tryed to glue it with no success as yet was planing on trying one more time then if it doesent work trying to fined a replacement part. so i would like to know if anyone else has had any success?

martin

I have just been looking for info on the gw 30cxi as my boiler has just sprung a leak in the same place as this. i have tryed to glue it with no success as yet was planing on trying one more time then if it doesent work trying to fined a replacement part. so i would like to know if anyone else has had any success?

martin
Call glow worm and they will repair for free as its a design fault!

the same part on my 30cxi has also sprung a very tiny leak in the plastic casing. I've had to glue a tiny piece of metal to it and switch off the water supply to the boiler.

I've called a plumber and they can be here on monday. I'll call glo-worm first thing monday to see if they will fix it, hopefully avoiding a £300+ repair bill.

If this is anything like modern cars instead of replacing one component it probably comes joined to a larger and much more expensive item, hence raising the price right up.

CIMG3747.jpg

CIMG3746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
this is what happens when manufactures relies to much on plastic components they are not up to it

The first glue fix failed miserably.

I used some putty and its sealed it, so no leaks. Very lucky as it means I can have my hot water and heating back on. However, I still need to get it fixed very soon.

Glow-worm will not fix it as its 3 years out of warranty. They charge £250 to fix it and then cover it (parts and labour) for a year.

I've looked at the part online and it seems to be around £110.

So now I don't know whether to pay glow-worm to sort it or try a local plumber to fix it for less. I can't see a plumber charging less than £100 so I may as well get glow-worm in.

Any advice?

I had this fixed by a local plumber

He fitted a kit of parts that cost around £120, which included the left hand hydroblock (saniblock).

Saqwe that part that came out, it was flippin huge

total cost of the job was £250 inc VAT

C A Jones, Swansea. Excellent Service, Well Done!

I have one of these and about 18 months ago I had the exact same leak.
By the time the plumber came round it was losing a considerable amount of water.
We got the hydroblock changed over for a new one. I had noticed the hole was right over a stamp mark in the plastic and took this to be a manufacturing fault. The replacement is of a different design which confirmed this to me.
Glow-worm refunded the costs admitting the part was faulty.
Since then however, the screen at the front of the boiler has gone and now reads like the Predators wrist computer and this week we have another leak from what looks like the right hand hydroblock.
Not too impressive for a 5 year old boiler.

In conclusion:
1) contact GW and insist the part failure is a manufacturing defect
2) invent a time machine, go back and buy a different boiler.

If its any help i do have a few of these kits left over from a contract i had a coule of years ago. Kit comes with hydroblock with new copper pipe replacing plastic hot water pipe, hot water flow switch and new filing loop tap. I was going to put them on Ebay for about £50.00 if anyone is inerested?

Stu

To Payney1974
Hi Stu
I m interested in the kit have you got a picture as Im more interested in the
water flow sensor switch S57202 dont know if its the one you mentioned
above in the kit.Its located right next to the pump on the right of picture behind
the water ....Im probably off on a tangent but it could be worth buying for the bottom
drawer or was it the top.. middle.. shed.. attic .Sorry dont know how to contact you.

Hi forgot to mention in my above post that I had a leak from the water flow sensor switch joint. thought it was the O ring but turned out to be a hairline crack in Water flow sensor seem. Replaced water flow sensor switch S57202 and all seems well so far.

If its any help i do have a few of these kits left over from a contract i had a coule of years ago. Kit comes with hydroblock with new copper pipe replacing plastic hot water pipe, hot water flow switch and new filing loop tap. I was going to put them on Ebay for about £50.00 if anyone is inerested?

Stu

Are you still selling the kit above including all mentioned above and water flow switch as per link Im unable to contact direct as dont have 5 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to identify glow worm part? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock