Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal w2000 found on safety check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambed84

Gas Engineer
The setting is your average social housing contract and the location is first floor flat.
To my amazement i find an Ideal w2000 open flue boiler.
Ventilation is OK. Flue visually ok, however downstairs ran through this flat and upstairs had all 3 flues running through upto roof space, terminating at a ridge tile!
All tests for safety and service were passed.
Wondering what you guys would do with this installation.
See pictures attached for boiler and meter.

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

central chimney or individual flues

Individual flues running through a central airing cupboard that contained the flues and cylinder.

Can you see / inspect the whole flue run ?

Can you see / inspect the whole flue run ?
Here is the issue I had. The regs state "as far as reasonably practicable."
When I was there I was able to gain access to upstairs and roof space for visual and flue flow, including a check of the gasket at the boot of the ridge terminal.
However, next year I may not be so lucky. I may not be able to gain access, they may well be out... Still falling under "reasonably practicable" tag line but renders me a little uneasy!

If you can inspect and test this year and all passes flue flow no spilling etc and flue to regs

And the appliance has the right air being supplied and isn't in a prohibited zone e.g. Bath or bedroom etc

And the appliance passes all the tests

Then yes I would sign it off

But let's say you go next year and couldn't inspect the whole flue then it would fail until you could get entry and your tests pass etc

Last edited:
That's the black and white of it.
It just makes me un easy having an open flued boiler in today's age. While it passes all tests, the fact the flues travel visually through the properties is the sticking point for me. Any spillage from joints, etc... is coming directly into the property.
While there's no actual reason for any classification of AR or ID I still feel there's a risk. It was a job I really didn't enjoy, I was desperate to condemn it!

Who put the clips on ?

Is that the primary meter?

If so, they are lucky bar stewards, as they wont be getting billed. So you may struggle to sell an "efficient" boiler :)

That's the black and white of it.
It just makes me un easy having an open flued boiler in today's age. While it passes all tests, the fact the flues travel visually through the properties is the sticking point for me. Any spillage from joints, etc... is coming directly into the property.
While there's no actual reason for any classification of AR or ID I still feel there's a risk. It was a job I really didn't enjoy, I was desperate to condemn it!

There is nothing wrong with open flue appliances. They have been around since Adam and as long as they are installed correctly and have enough combustion air, (permanent purpose made and correctly sized ventilation), pass the relevant tests they are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal w2000 found on safety check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock