Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Mini HE C24 won't ingnite - Brrrrr! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Morning all,

This is my first post and I confess I did not even know about checking boiler pressure until yesterday, so any help would be much appreciated.

So, my Ideal Mini HE C24 boiler stopped working last night. The lock out light is red. There is a click, a blue spark of light behind its window but nothing ignites, just a hum for a while.

I tried resetting a couple of times.

I noticed the pressure was down to zero so I have topped it up to 1.5 but the same problem.

I think I have now put it in service mode and light 1 and 3 flash with a solid number 2. I think this means “Lack of burner ignition (no ignition signal from the full sequence ignition device)."

boiler.jpg

A few questions please. Can I fix this myself? Will an expert be able to fix it? If so will it be pricey? Do I have to somewhere find money to get a new boiler as this one is too old to bother?

Thanks for all advice.

1. Unfortunately you can’t fix it yourself.

2. Yes someone who is competent can easily resolve your problem.

3. The price may wary depend on the parts costs, labour etc...

4. I don’t think you’ll need to find money to replace your boiler.

Can I fix this myself?

No. Please put the cover back on before you harm yourself or your boiler.

Will an expert be able to fix it?

Yes. You need to get a Gas Safe Registered heating engineer to assist. If the person who normally services the boiler isn't available, I suggest finding a local independent company who've been in business a number of years based on recommendations from friends.

If so will it be pricey?

Not many repairs are less than a couple of hundred quid these days. Ideal used to do a 'fixed price repair' which was about 300 IIRC. Consult their website for the current availability and terms. Your GSR should be able to advise you whether this is an appropriate option in your case.

Do I have to somewhere find money to get a new boiler as this one is too old to bother?

Your GSR engineer will be happy to discuss the economics of repair vs replace with you when they've had a chance to inspect the system.

Last edited:
No. Please put the cover back on before you harm yourself or your boiler.

He has only removed the outer case by the sounds of it. I’m sure there is also an inner cover on this model. However, as above you will need an engineer to fix your problem.

Yes, only the outer cover. I've done that much previously to fit a smart meter.

As luck would have it I discovered my house insurance includes emergency cover. Hurrah. So I should get a visit later. Thanks for input.

He has only removed the outer case by the sounds of it. I’m sure there is also an inner cover on this model.

You are correct, but removing the outer cover is not required for anything a domestic user should be doing and gives access to the gas pressure adjustments and pressure test points plus a whole load of electrical wiring that is not double-insulated. I was also concerned that the OP had put it into service mode and was not afraid to 'have a go'. Hence my advice to put it back.

Anyway, you're a moderator now (congratulations BTW). If you think my post is wrong, impolite or unreasonable please go right ahead and edit or delete it; I'll be surprised but not offended.

You are correct, but removing the outer cover is not required for anything a domestic user should be doing and gives access to the gas pressure adjustments and pressure test points plus a whole load of electrical wiring that is not double-insulated. I was also concerned that the OP had put it into service mode and was not afraid to 'have a go'. Hence my advice to put it back.

Anyway, you're a moderator now (congratulations BTW). If you think my post is wrong, impolite or unreasonable please go right ahead and edit or delete it; I'll be surprised but not offended.
Cheers mate. I think I am probably more surprised than anybody. I fully agree with you about putting the boiler into service mode. They should not be doing that. I clearly missed that point. However, the rules clearly stat that the case can be removed if it is not part of the integral seal. I don’t like this rule either mate, but they are allowed.

I see both sides here and my opinion is that we should err on the side of caution. We can look up fairly easily whether a boiler case forms part of the seal most householders couldn’t care less so I never encourage it coming off unless by an engineer. It’s just too risky as you never know who’s reading what thread and who doesn’t know their Worcester from their Glow-worm.

The outer case has to be removed to fit clever thermostat systems and these are designed to be a DIY job, just 2 wires and you are done. Would be overkill to pay in an expert ;o)

Why should I not put it in to service mode?

Well the engineer came, said it was a faulty gas valve and that he would order another to replace it on Tuesday or Wednesday.

That was yesterday though. Today the engineer says the boiler is beyond economical repair, and that we should get a new boiler!

Now I have to go back to the insurance company and ask what is going on.

They are claiming the gas valve is too expensive and that with labour costs it is not viable. A manager should be calling me back.

Would anybody here know what a valve costs and how long to fit one?

(I did see what I think is the right valve online for £150ish)

Thank you.

I would argue that the cost of a gas valve is not beyond economical repair. Unless you have a repair limit in your contract.

I am trying. Not easy as the insurance company hand it over to somebody else. Hopefully the manager will call me before we freeze!

The outer case has to be removed to fit clever thermostat systems and these are designed to be a DIY job, just 2 wires and you are done. Would be overkill to pay in an expert ;o)

Why should I not put it in to

Why should I not put it in to service mode?
hope your new controller was installed volt free

They are claiming the gas valve is too expensive and that with labour costs it is not viable. A manager should be calling me back.

Would anybody here know what a valve costs and how long to fit one?

(I did see what I think is the right valve online for £150ish)

Thank you.
Is it British Gas?

Approx £170 for the part and around £100 for the labour so around £270 all in. Of course different companies may add a call out charge and have different rates, location dependant. But it still should be well within your £500 limit. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying up. I would fight this one if I were you.

So, they refused to fix it and I got it done privately for £140 for labour and an old valve the engineer had in his garage. I kept complaining to the insurer and eventually they refunded me. Got there in the end. Thanks for help!

Reply to Ideal Mini HE C24 won't ingnite - Brrrrr! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock