Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic+ cutting out when hot water drawn and needing frequent reset in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Can anyone help me avoid replacing Ideal Logic+ boiler only 6 years old?

It worked okay for 6 years, then started cutting out when hot water drawn, needing to reset at times when hot water used. 1st GasSafe engineer who attended contacted Ideal who responded change various parts several hundred pounds but no guarantee it would resolve the problem.

Contacted British Gas who sent an engineer with a view to putting on a service contract he spent time looking for reasons not to diagnose the problem saying gas pressure too low so could not put boiler on a service contract. I contacted BG and informed them the gas pressure was adequate, a 12 metre run of which the first 6 metres was 28mm so only 6m of 22mm pipe well within installation guidelines. They agreed to send 2nd engineer who then came up with diagnosis that water pressure is too high, quoting boiler capacity as 17 litres per minute the water pressure meant that the flow rate was 22 litres per minute so boiler cutting out.

My local GasSafe engineer disputes the above stating that installation was correct, gas supply is fine, the boiler has operated okay for 6 years so there must be a problem but Ideal boilers are problematic to diagnose faults. It is also a modulating boiler that should cope with varying demands. I have now used the water inlet valve on the cold supply to decrease the water flow into the boiler, and also turned down the hot water temperature, so I am now getting a lower flow rate of heated water at a lower temperature. However, this seems to be compensating for the problem not curing it.

Has anyone experienced similar problems as the advice I seem to be getting is "We cannot diagnose the problem so just try changing every component including PCB etc at high cost until you change something that sorts the problem, or just spend £1,800 or so on a new boiler"

Has anyone had similar problems and may be able to offer help?

Nigel from Devon

How much have you spent on it already ?

Thanks for reply. I am not sure what invoice I will receive from the initial visit as first local GasSafe engineer (who was also the original installer) was unable to definitely ascertain fault even though he spent some time talking to Ideal technical team. I then contacted British Gas who have various fixed price repairs and elected to go on their 'repair and insure' scheme which gives a fixed price repair at £99 but I then pay £23 a month for 12 months which gives me the full 12 months breakdown insurance. However, when they attended the 2 different engineers came up with different ideas of why they could not accept the boiler on the 'repair and insure' scheme so the policy is void. Thanks

If the boiler was registered when it was installed you have 7 years warranty with ideal from the installation date. There should be a section of the manual filled in called the benchmark certificate, on here you will find the serial number of the boiler or if you just ring ideal boilers and give them your postcode etc they will be able to tell you if the boiler is still under warranty. Worth a try. 01482498663

Just say, where having some trouble with the boiler and I'm checking to see if my boiler is still under warranty

If it isnt I'd look into a fixed price repair with ideal or go on their cover plan

If hot water is cutting out and needs resting, likely to be plate heat exchanger partly blocked.? What’s the fault code that comes up??

They didnt have 7 years warranty to begin with
Get ideal out on a fixed price repair - around £300

Thanks for all replies. Manufacturer warranty expired, no error code shows, hence the problem with diagnosis. Thanks Scott_d, as I found that Ideal do offer a fixed price repair. £289 single payment including parts and vat but only 30 day warranty. The better option is £299.94 for fixed price repair inc. parts labour and vat for £299.94. This is collected as 6 x £49.99. After the 6 months, it reduces to £18.50 a month and can be cancelled anytime. This will be a better option than replacing parts on a trial and error basis. As above, 3 engineers have all not been able to diagnose the problem. Piecing together the information, it seems the boiler is shutting down whenever the hot water flow rate is too fast and set too high a temperature. This is a recent symptom and I seem to have compensated for the problem by turning down the temperature and restricting the water flow via the inlet tap under the boiler. It has not needed resetting for over 24 hours. It seems Seems the Ideal fixed price repair is the way to go, it's £299.94 or a new boiler!

Sounds like you had really bad luck with diagnosis as this is a really common problem with any combi boiler..Bear in mind a strong possibility that other parties are only motivated to sell you a new boiler.
Before going with the £299 repair make sure there won't be subsequent charges if they fail to replace the right part (otherwise that price is a bit of a rip off)

Dear Stanios, thanks for that, my post did not make it clear that the £299.94 is for the repair and 6 months boiler cover, similar to the British gas Repair and Insure scheme. It will not matter to me how many parts need to be replaced during that 6 months contractual period.

you say you have to reset it but theres no error code??? if the boiler is just shutting down on flow temp when tap running either partly blocked plate or faulty casting thermistor. also poss faulty flow turbine. as its logic plus run heating till it settles down to set temp and all rads are hot. display will show around 74c. turn tap on and run water till boiler shuts off. turn off tap so boiler goes back into heating mode and watch heating flow temp on display. if this goes up into the eighties briefly problem is more than likely plate related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Logic+ cutting out when hot water drawn and needing frequent reset in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock