Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss I think I just nailed an apprenticeship in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Joshua

Joshua New Member

I had been ringing round companies for a bit, looking to be taken on. A woman from Lomax Training had got back to me as we exchanged emails (Btw has anyone heard of this company before?). I was told I would get a "level 2 qualification" once I was done, not sure if that's an NVQ or what, but I sent an email asking but it turned out I actually sent it to myself so I don't know but hey ho I'll ask once I'm there. I think it's like a few years or so, and I'll be doing all sorts of jobs that I have to be assessed on. But the thing I'm buzzed about is that I get paid, I can still attend college doing the plumbing diploma in college, and from my knowledge, now having this apprenticeship should boost me up a year in college as the tutor told me. I get like, apprentice wages at something around £3.70 an hour but hey I think it'll be fun. She said the next position opens in a few weeks if I still want the place. I hope this hard work pays off.

But yeah, I suppose I better ask a question with this post so it doesn't seem like I'm just posting for the sake of it (but I am quite pleased though).
    Any particular tips on how to be in an apprenticeship would not go amiss.

Cheers all,

Joshua

• Like Like x 1
  2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Morning Joshua congratulations on landing a place NVQS are hard to come by these days you need to get your head down and put the hard work in now , it won't be easy and many young guys take the ---- muddle through or drop out you have been given a opportunity to gain a career which will provide you with a good salary and prospects for the future don't let yourself down do the very best you can gain the highest grades and future employers will snap you up. All the best kop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joshua

Joshua New Member

Cheers pal, I'm gonna absolutely smash it in terms of effort at least, I've never been the sort of guy that pi**es away an opportunity. I'm gonna get my head down and really get in some work. But thanks mate.

All the best,
    Joshua

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Any advice you need come back to us lot and keep us up to date please. centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  5. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

They definitely aren’t charging you anything for this??

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob Foster

One of the unspoken about qualifications people starting out should have is a driving licence and maybe a mota. I think a driving licence is equivalent to a degree.
    centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Joshua

Joshua New Member

No mate nothing at all. In fact they'll be the ones paying me lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

1. It is a lot easier to progress through the levels of qualifications at the start of your career when you are relatively commitment-free and bursting with 'potential' than to try to catch up later in life when you have a family to support and need to put food on the table.

2. Try to learn not just how to perform a particular skill/task but also the reasons it is normally used and/or done in that manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Fair play then mate

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rob Foster

Good chking

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Hi Joshua,
    Congratulations, and hopefully you will maintain your enthusiasm. There are far worse ways to make a living :) .

Lomax training ar just that - a training company. They don't actually employ apprentices, so, if everything is Kosher, there must be an employer working with them. What seems a little odd is that I sense you have not had any interviews or testing. Employers don't normally commit to an expensive course without meeting the candidates, and will often demand a CRB check

I hope my bells are alarming unnecessarily, but have you received anything on writing?

I genuinely hope all is above board, and wish you luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rob Foster

I think we might all look at this company and establish if they are ok in our opinion, I will get my Mr Clement to put them thro our mincer tomorrow,
    centralheatking

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

How did Mr. Clement do?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rob Foster

He has just returned from Cyrpus and will have a look a bit. Later I understand

15. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Joshua - are you still there?

"J" couldn't be a spammer from Lomax. Could he?