Search the forum,

Discuss I am retiring, anyone want these books ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm 77, and finally decided to call it a day. Also health ain't brilliant so time to pack it in.
For the past 15 years I have been running my own company (one man band and Joycie doing the invoices) just North of London. My speciality has been CP12's in N.and central London That's Landlords Gas Safety Certificates to the newbies. I worked up a list of regulars for over 600 properties a year, but it is less than that now, because of the health problem. Nice little earner actually, and very light work.
Point is I have a few books etc that might be useful to someone. I have the CITB correspondence course for those attempting the ACS test, and a couple of the 'Viper' Domestic Natural gas handbooks. Also Essential Gas safety, originally published by CORGI (now a dirty word) the Logic Certification Training manual and the IEE OnSite Guide.
Rather than chuck them in the skip I thought they might be useful to someone just starting out.
If anyone knows a good cause and can pick these up from Hatfield, get in touch.
Roy Arnold

I'm 77, and finally decided to call it a day. Also health ain't brilliant so time to pack it in.
For the past 15 years I have been running my own company (one man band and Joycie doing the invoices) just North of London. My speciality has been CP12's in N.and central London That's Landlords Gas Safety Certificates to the newbies. I worked up a list of regulars for over 600 properties a year, but it is less than that now, because of the health problem. Nice little earner actually, and very light work.
Point is I have a few books etc that might be useful to someone. I have the CITB correspondence course for those attempting the ACS test, and a couple of the 'Viper' Domestic Natural gas handbooks. Also Essential Gas safety, originally published by CORGI (now a dirty word) the Logic Certification Training manual and the IEE OnSite Guide.
Rather than chuck them in the skip I thought they might be useful to someone just starting out.
Roy Arnold

Blimey Roy, I dont know need to congratulate you or call you mad . Good luck on your retirement, YOU HAVE EARNED IT .

Roy Arnold
Good luck in your retirement.
So have you been doing this all your working life?

Welcome Roy, I hope you stick about on here now you are no longer going out to earn a crust. Answer a few questions & stick in you 2 bobs worth, keeps the brain active even if the bodies finding it difficult.
Any advice on how to keep working past your 60's would be gratefully received from me, what with no pension & no desire to stop anyway.

Sod the books what are you doing with the analyser & the rest of your tools, I can call in tomorrow if you are home? :D

Dear All, Thanks for the kind words and advice. My qualifications don't run out until next April, so I am keeping my kit to hand just in case one of my clients, who have become my friends over the years , needs a bit of help. My backgound is I was made redundant by University of Herts at 55 because teaching engineering didn't make money. I then worked as a consultant to Local authorities on energy conservation, and then set up on my own, got my ACS and registered and just did Gas Safety tests, mainly for Corporate Landlords, but a few small operators too. Obviously I could make safe if I had to. Not a huge money maker but a comfortable living when combined with Uni pension. I won't be renewing my GSR in April and I will let my Insurance run out. Sad to be finishing, and Joycie is complaining that she will be out of work too.
My advice on working this long - pace yourself- and don't work for people who let you down; ie don't pay or pay late. I only worked three days a week and I turned down Boiler installations and repairs.
Hope this helps. Roy Arnold

Hi Roy, my nephew is an aspiring heating engineer that would find these books useful. I'm not too far away or if you don't mind I could arrange a courier if you could box them up for me. I guess you don't have enough posts as I can't seem to message you privately so one of the moderators has forwarded my mobile number to you so you can text me an email address/contact details.

Thanks Shawn

Last edited:
Hi Roy

Have you found a decent home for the books and correspondence course? If not, please contact me on the email address below as I'll be happy to pop round and pick them up for my nephew who is an aspiring heating engineer. Many thanks.

[email protected]

Hi Roy
Good luck for your retirement, I am new in this forum and new to plumbing as well to be honest trying to be plumber or some of my friends calling it midlife crisis. If you haven't found a home for books, I am very interested. I am always around Hatfield can pick up.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Roy,
I wish you all the best with the retirement. While back I was a research assistant in Engineering department at University of Hertfordshire. Nice University enjoyed doing my Engineering degree there.
If you still have the books I was interested in Viper' Domestic Natural gas handbooks. I live in Enfield can pick them up. Please email me [email protected]

Best wishes.

Reply to I am retiring, anyone want these books ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I really appreciate any help here - I’m not a plumber and live alone. Two days ago everything was working fine, but then someone came to do my gas safety inspection and since then my hot water is still normal but my radiators aren’t working. I have made sure the gas pipe is turned to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys! I'm looking for help from a Plumber with 5+ years of experience for my NVQ L2 evidence work,which will enable me to attend onsite assessment. I think it should not take more then 1 day to complete it.I just need to make some pictures that i am solving a problem basically and write down...
Replies
Views
M
Stopped accepting new bookings as of 31st Dec, allowing me a week to tie up loose ends, and the phone has gone ballistic... Stevetheplumber is helpfully taking a lot of the work off me, but anyone else fancy work in the north and east London area - Walthamstow, Chingford, Enfield, Edmonton, etc...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
R
if i get some work leads as i am good at answereing the phone and office work, maybe i can skim a profit of those that can actually do the job !!! :thinking: another one..... I'm writing from OpenRent, we're one of the largest letting agents in the UK, providing services for over 30,000...
Replies
Views
H
Hello, I started a Plumbing and Heating course in college due to health and saftey we had to be sent home after form filling in the first day because we've moved into a new building and it's not quiet finshed yet. So I have the rest of the week off and I can't ask my tutor about which books...
Replies
Views
Hannah
H
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock