Search the forum,

Discuss Hudson Reed TEC 3 hole basin tap cartridge removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
New here, be gentle!
I have a HR 3 hole basin mixer cold tap (very similar to the latest TEX 337) which is leaking from the top/body of the tap. I've replaced the handle and barrel (with 2 black bands) but still leaks.How do I replace the ceramic valve,all the valves I see have a nut at the top to fix but I can't see a way of removing it.Does the body of the tap unscrew or pull off to allow access or do I have to remove the whole tap?
Thanks.

Hi
New here, be gentle!
I have a HR 3 hole basin mixer cold tap (very similar to the latest TEX 337) which is leaking from the top/body of the tap. I've replaced the handle and barrel (with 2 black bands) but still leaks.How do I replace the ceramic valve,all the valves I see have a nut at the top to fix but I can't see a way of removing it.Does the body of the tap unscrew or pull off to allow access or do I have to remove the whole tap?
Thanks.
Any pictures mate?

Actually the bit with HR on should unscrew and reveal a screw holding the cover on. Well that’s how it normally works but Hudson Reed is a weird manufacturer.:D:D

Almost identical to this, I've removed the handle and barrel (attached to handle,has 2 black (ceramic?) bands),but how to remove the ceramic valve Many thanks for replies
s-l140.jpg

Just noticed that the gap between the
body of the tap and the base is larger on one tap than the other.
Could this indicate that perhaps the body does screw or pull off?
Don't want to damage anything with force.

It’s easier to undo the backnut, under the basin. Then the chrome tube will undo. You can then easily get to the cartridge.

I've now managed to unscrew the chrome "collar" and tried to undo the cartridge but it won't budge.Don't want to give it too much for fear of disturbing the connections beneath the basin. Any tips please?, I've tried penetrating oil.Could it be a left hand thread?
Thanks

I've now managed to unscrew the chrome "collar" and tried to undo the cartridge but it won't budge.Don't want to give it too much for fear of disturbing the connections beneath the basin. Any tips please?, I've tried penetrating oil.Could it be a left hand thread?
Thanks
Any tips on how to remove the thing?! Please!

Welcome to the world of "JUST change a tap washer/cartridge". It will just be stuck, have you tried a deep socket/box spanner? If you really cannot shift it the safest thing to do to avoid breaking the ceramic is remove it entirely from the basin. Once off, hold a section of the tail that does not require a nut to run past it (as this will damage the threads) with a pair of stilsons and haul away on your cartridge. Better still if you have access to a vice use this, once secured a sharp tap with hammer on spanner often works (try to surprise it when it's not looking).

Thanks Ben,I've tried with a socket and given it a "tap" but I'm about to break something.I'll remove it and get it in the huge vice that my father "liberated" when he returned home from the RA in 1945!

Reply to Hudson Reed TEC 3 hole basin tap cartridge removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock