Search the forum,

Discuss Howling sound from pipes! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, last year I had my old tanked central heating system & boiler replaced with a Vailent combi boiler.
Recently, when running the upstairs taps, there’s a howling sound from the pipes. I’ve bled the radiators, and the system pressure is 1bar.
Where the hot water cylinder was is what looks like a knurled bleed screw? I’ve taken a pic, do you think I should open this to see if air is trapped there? Sorry this is vague, I’m no expert! I’ve attached a pic.
Cheers guys! Steve.

346F9B60-B36F-4970-8B33-2745CC41907A.jpeg

41E476CA-EAA5-4435-8BF3-0E31340386DA.jpeg

Hi everyone, last year I had my old tanked central heating system & boiler replaced with a Vailent combi boiler.
Recently, when running the upstairs taps, there’s a howling sound from the pipes. I’ve bled the radiators, and the system pressure is 1bar.
Where the hot water cylinder was is what looks like a knurled bleed screw? I’ve taken a pic, do you think I should open this to see if air is trapped there? Sorry this is vague, I’m no expert! I’ve attached a pic.
Cheers guys! Steve.

View attachment 36030

View attachment 36031
Bleeding the rads won’t help if noise is when running the taps.
Sounds more of a pressure issue.
Maybe an increase in pressure causing the noise

Possibly but if it’s on the heating pipework it ain’t going to affect the howling you mention

That's some nasty solder work :confused:, that is a vent to bleed air out the heating supply, it's either a flow or return pipe that has been linked out after switching your system from fully pumped to a combi. This will have no impact on the symtoms you describe. The howling your hearing caused by high pressure (mains) water forcing it's way through your pipes, does this happen in every tap upstairs (hot and cold) or do you find it's random or only on the hot tap? If your flow rate is really good just knock the stop tap down a couple turns and see if this cures it.

Reply to Howling sound from pipes! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock