Search the forum,

Discuss How to get L2 NVQ without apprenticeship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to multi-mullins, theres a shortage of plumbers in the u.k ???????
this weeks sun

I disagree that there's a shortage of plumbers, a shortage of good plumbers maybe but there definitely isn't a shortage. Plumbers are falling out the game due to there not being enough demand for them. That's what I think.

Time for plumbers to be licensed properly, then we'll see how many real plumbers there are.

I disagree that there's a shortage of plumbers, a shortage of good plumbers maybe but there definitely isn't a shortage. Plumbers are falling out the game due to there not being enough demand for them. That's what I think.

Time for plumbers to be licensed properly, then we'll see how many real plumbers there are.

Make you right.

Typical newspaper spinning up a story out of very thin 'evidence':
- Insurance firm says *** amount of independent plumbers no longer exist. (or no longer buy insurance)
- just because there are less self-emp. plumbers doesn't mean they aren't working for firms
- What if not insured?
- More DIY'ers and DIY products mean less demand for plumbing.
- Like mentioned above, what if decrease in plumbers is actually through not enough business???

Basically, just because one firm noticed one thing, does not mean a NATIONWIDE SHORTAGE of bugger all.

Hate the press :angry_smile:

Last edited:

Couldnt agree more with this, hopefully this will be in the near future.
Also what seems to be the point in NVQ 3 anymore? No many seem to want/have it!

I'm always amazed at how many drop out of the game. Often hear at the merchants, "oh, so & so has give" up as he can't make it pay & has no work". I can't understand it as I'm always stacked out. There must be something else to it IMO.

Too many believe the media hype about big wages & don't appreciate how much hard work is involved.

I agree with TS about NVQ3 as well, aside from the useful things like including CCN1 it's just not relevant at all.

Couldnt agree more with this, hopefully this will be in the near future.
Also what seems to be the point in NVQ 3 anymore? No many seem to want/have it!

Level 3 has you learning how to plan, design and draw to scale things like central heating systems. Quite a few dropped out of my class in the first few weeks because they couldn't handle the mathematics involved. I thoroughly enjoyed doing my level 3.

When you look at what's involved in achieving level 2 it's really only very basic plumbing.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten doing that Keefy. Maybe as I was used to doing all that sort of thing from my previous life as a mechanical engineer.
What I do remember doing was a lot of health & safety stuff, risk assessments & method statements, all of which bored me to tears

I'd forgotten doing that Keefy. Maybe as I was used to doing all that sort of thing from my previous life as a mechanical engineer.
What I do remember doing was a lot of health & safety stuff, risk assessments & method statements, all of which bored me to tears
Yeah looking back it seems level 3 was about 90% classroom stuff but like I say, I enjoyed going to college and was sad when it finished. I think my two days a week were 9am-5am on a Tuesday and 9am-9pm on a Thursday. The late nights may have just been when we were doing the gas though, can't remember.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed college, especially the gas stuff. I still enjoy going back every 5 years to re-do the gas but not the loss of income whilst I'm there. ;)

Tempted to do the level 2+3 nvq when i finish my apprenticeship :)

is it worth it do you think?

Are you not doing the NVQ2 as part of your apprenticeship King ?

Definitely worth doing both if only to give you the qualifications that most firms will look for.

Last edited:
No sadly :(,

my course is a 3 year gas specific level 3 nvq.

its great by all means and really teaches you well just not a single piece of plumbing.

the company I'm on only does central heating, gas and oil.

I always wonder how they plan the heating syetems and put them in if no plumbing involved?

The course is litterally just for gas, its assumed you've already done level 2 Atleast and learning on the job before it however my company was only interested in me doing the gas only,didn't complain and went along with it to get my foot in the door :)

Unless the NVQ2 plumbing course has changed much in the past ten years then I doubt you would learn much of any practical use from it. I found it to be largely stuff that would be common sense to most people. I mean stuff like not running a waste pipe up hill.
It also depends who is teaching you. When I did it one lecturer was full of useful tips & we learned a lot of extra stuff from him whereas another lecturer was a waste of space & appeared to know less than we did.

If you are already doing the gas NVQ 3 then personally I wouldn't bother unless your employer is willing to pay for it & give you time off. I didn't realise you were doing the gas NVQ

Yup went straight into it, a year in i did my unvented and oftec but as I'm now finishing it id like to gain more qualifications.

ill be doing the lpg change over and commercial catering straight away as part of my tickets :)

omho, but you would be better off concentrating on commercial or lpg as commercial can give you lots of work in towns, but lpg great for middle of nowhere, the 2 dont really coincide. Cost of courseisnt cheap and if your starting off money would be short and better spent carefully, especially if your going to have to buy all that lumpy commercial kit.

I live in the middle of nowhere :) lpg and oil is my main gaff

I need to do mobile catering hence the commercial catering :)

I do leave being able to work on most things domestically and systems up to 1m3 commercially :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to get L2 NVQ without apprenticeship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock