Search the forum,

Discuss How To Become Gas Safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I currently live in a house with oil heating and an electric cooker but we’ve saved up enough to buy a house of our own. Me and emma ( my girlfriend) have found 3 houses that look ideal. 2 of them have gas cookers with a gas boiler and the 3rd one has a gas cooker with the option to have an electric cooker as the wiring for an electric cooker is already there. This house also has a gas boiler. Even if we had an electric cooker we would still be heating the house using gas. What is the route we would have to go down to become gas safe, so we could move into a house with gas?

What is the route we would have to go down to become gas safe, so we could move into a house with gas?

Ask the vendor, probably via your solicitor, to provide the make, model, age and date of last service for the heating system.

Contact a heating engineer who must be on the national 'Gas Safe' register who you will use to service the appliances annually for you. I always recommend chosing a smallish local independent who's been in business for a good number of years and is recommended by your friends or work colleagues. It could be the person the vendor uses if they fit your requirements. Discuss with them whether a pre-sale inspection is appropriate and roughly how much life they'd estimate is left in the current system.

If you are in any doubt about the condition of the appliances or when they were last serviced, get your heating engineer to do them as soon as you move in.

As per chuck, tread a bit carefully with old gas boilers. if they ar open flued definiteky have it checked out before using.

You mention 2 houses having gas cookers. You are not under the impression that they will be left by the vendor?

As per chuck, tread a bit carefully with old gas boilers. if they ar open flued definiteky have it checked out before using.

You mention 2 houses having gas cookers. You are not under the impression that they will be left by the vendor?
No the cookers are not included we would have to get our own

Ask the vendor, probably via your solicitor, to provide the make, model, age and date of last service for the heating system.

Contact a heating engineer who must be on the national 'Gas Safe' register who you will use to service the appliances annually for you. I always recommend chosing a smallish local independent who's been in business for a good number of years and is recommended by your friends or work colleagues. It could be the person the vendor uses if they fit your requirements. Discuss with them whether a pre-sale inspection is appropriate and roughly how much life they'd estimate is left in the current system.

If you are in any doubt about the condition of the appliances or when they were last serviced, get your heating engineer to do them as soon as you move in.
I’m not sure what you mean

Is it better to have the boiler seviced before we move in?
I'd always recommend to have any gas appliance checked and serviced before moving in. If you haven't already bought the house, get it checked over before you do, you don't want to find any nasty surprises after you buy it.

Reply to How To Become Gas Safe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock