Search the forum,

Discuss How old is my Grundfos pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to debate weather with you mr watkins move it to the arms on another thread thanks

£52 a year.

See, if your old pump stopped working the renewal with an A pump will have played in the uprise in far less than a year. This is why I fit since years literally exclusively Alphas and Magnas. (Except in boilers with build in pumps)

Already in year one it starts paying for itself. Now there are customers that pay a lot more for electricity or have multiple pumps. The saving depends on so many factors. But none of my customers has not felt a noticable saving on his electricity bill.

Of course I do not go round and change working pumps. But where ever it needs replacement I feel the need to provide my customers with the cheaper option and that is an A pump.

Someone mentioned the energy saving bulbs not doing their job. Again there are a lot more different technologies and choosing the wrong one will provide you with the wrong result.
One prime example is a customer which had in the U/S room fitted 22 downlights with 50W and a beam angle of 25-35 degree. Room is not even 7' high. Roasting hot in summer, pretty dull at all times despite more than 1000W light fittings. These now got replaced with 1.5W warm white LED fittings with 120 degree beam angle and the room is so bright now. No thrown fuses anymore when a light fitting blows. The energy cost for using this room are now reasonable and in summer you be in it without a bucket beneath you for catching your sweat.
Before it was just putting another bulb in, now you have to consider light colour, beam angle, wattage, technology (LED,CFL,etc.). And to put cream on it the quality of those can differ so much (on different manufacturers) despite being nominal the same fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem.

However this is assuming that it really can save 40%. If it really is that efficient, then they do sound good!
In adaptive mode or in proportional pressure I find savings being even above that in specific if the old pump was still a 100W model and not a new 50W.
In constant pressure it will most likely be below that but usually it gets used on systems that tend to run for much longer times so the absolute saving is still high.
And even if you pick one a constant speed it will still save you even agains a 50W model.
(Read that for the 15/60, for 15/50 you can scale it down)

But in conjunction with a downsized pump and a control that allows the system to run for suitable times (Programmable Room Stat etc.) you can mostly present significant savings on both fuels.

No thrown fuses anymore when a light fitting blows.
So I am not alone! The kitchen has six GU10 50W halogen lamps and every time one gives up it knocks out the whole downstairs lighting - I know which switch to reset as I've had plenty of practice.

Why does this happen (tripping the fuse-switch) and are there alternatives to the GU10 which won't do this?

You can get led replacements. have a look at these.

[DLMURL="http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/60ledgu10w/lamp-gu10-60-led-white/dp/LP04615"]60LEDGU10W - PRO ELEC - LAMP GU10 60 LED WHITE | CPC[/DLMURL]

I knocked through our kitchen and living room...and fitted 30 spot lights. All with 50W lamps! All been good until one blew the other week, knocked the fuse out and killed the dimmer. (Its not a standard dimmer - but more expensive one designed to deal with the bigger load).

I would change em all the LED - but the dimmable ones are a FORTUNE!!

I knocked through our kitchen and living room...and fitted 30 spot lights. All with 50W lamps! All been good until one blew the other week, knocked the fuse out and killed the dimmer. (Its not a standard dimmer - but more expensive one designed to deal with the bigger load).

I would change em all the LED - but the dimmable ones are a FORTUNE!!
Do you actually use the dimmer though Danny or do you find like me that it just gets left on the same setting all the time ??

So I am not alone! The kitchen has six GU10 50W halogen lamps and every time one gives up it knocks out the whole downstairs lighting - I know which switch to reset as I've had plenty of practice.

Why does this happen (tripping the fuse-switch) and are there alternatives to the GU10 which won't do this?

GU10 is perfect as you will not have transformers. Is it high ceilings? Are the lights used as general lighting or as spots? Is the kitchen a totally separated room that does not get used for living? Is there other lights in the kitchen?
What size of floor area are we talking about?

GU10 is perfect as you will not have transformers. Is it high ceilings? Are the lights used as general lighting or as spots? Is the kitchen a totally separated room that does not get used for living? Is there other lights in the kitchen?
What size of floor area are we talking about?

The fuse typically gets blown by a short fuse via an arc. You would get that on conventional bulbs more often as well if the contacts would be closer.

I knocked through our kitchen and living room...and fitted 30 spot lights. All with 50W lamps!

This is not knocking Danny but using 1.5kw to light a room is very common these days. Save the planet? :lol:

If you get the LED replacements, make sure you get the ones suitable for a ceiling as some are designed more as diffusers and give off weak light

No worries about knocking me. I had plenty of it from the blokes at work.

It's seperated into four switches. So we don't have all on at the same time. (I don't live in a big house by the way).

But its great loads of light when you need it.

I've got 12 in my bathroom. Good for finding the blackheads :lol:

Peoples perceptions of what is green is mainly a load of garbage.

I've got 12 in my bathroom.
Peoples perceptions of what is green is mainly a load of garbage.

Well, this can still be considered as green. As you are using one of the most efficient ways of heating and that only at demand.

Hardly when my electric underfloor in the same bathroom is set to 30 and my heating is never off!

Hardly when my electric underfloor in the same bathroom is set to 30 and my heating is never off!

Well, bearing in mind that the advised bathroom temperature is 24 degC you are doing well. And the heat given off by the spots is obvioulsly in the form of radiation which creates a warm feeling when you get out of your shower.
As I said, it gets only used when in use so yes it is as green as possible.
I hope you used tinfoil backed plasterboard for not loosing the heat radiation prematurely.

Come on noo. I'm a poor plumber. I cant afford tin foil gyproc :smile:

89 replies,amazing could someone not tell the op its knackered have a combi LOL

Jesus i done a bit of research the other week trying to find out which year my fender guitar was made then i click on here and somebody is trying to find out how old there c/h pump is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How old is my Grundfos pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have an old Combi boiler for which the heating has stopped working. The hot water is fine, and I think I've isolated the problem to the pump. The pump is a Grundfos Alpha2, and it has usually has two numbers, but it is instead showing two dashes ( -- ). I think the propeller isn't...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
Hi all, We've bought a property that has a Worcester Greenstar 37CDi boiler installed, with an old British Gas RS2 Thermostat linked to it. I'm not clued up on boilers in any way, though I'm quite handy with mechanics and always like to learn how things work. The problem: The internal Bosch...
Replies
Views
Philip B
P
I have a 5 year old Ideal Logic 15 boiler that has been working alongside an old Grundfos pump possibly about 10years old. The boiler was recently (about 3 weeks ago) repaired and services by an Ideal technician. I had a plumber yesterday from Local Heros who came to fit a new Grundfos UPS3...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I've posted this in the right place. I installed a Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 (part number 98334549) circulating pump into my oil fired central heating system 4 years ago. Recently on the boiler firing up the pump has not started, there is an intermittent...
Replies
Views
Objective: I have an existing s-plan plus (see below for details) heating and hot water system, with 2 independent heating zones. There is a separate programmer and a simple room thermostat for zone 1 and programmable thermostat for zone 2. I have purchased the Drayton Wiser 3 zone kit and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock