Search the forum,

Discuss How old is my Grundfos pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Grundfos Selectric 15-50, which looks similar to the current version but with one significant difference: the speed control knob is white and the numbers are on the flange of the knob and appear in a slot cut in the black surrounding. The only numbers I can see are:983484 and U327, neither of them appear in the Grundfos Webcaps database.

The versions with black speed control, with 1, 2 or three dashes to indicate the speed, were around from 1997, so it must be older than that.

Any ideas how old it might be?

Who cares how old it is? If it is clean inside & circulating the water properly so the rads all heat fully in winter, then get your money out of it & keep it working. Age is not necessarily important with pumps, it is the quality of the pump, sometimes the way it is installed & if it is clean inside instead of magnetite blocking it, that are the main things.

Take a picture and send it to Grundfos. Then they'll tell you to change it for an autoadapt!

Is it similar to this?

Attachments

• 138208725.jpg
    138208725.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 153
somewhere in the numbers will be a date code ask grunfoss they willl be able to tell youdont think grundfos realy appeared untillmthe late seventies here but i could be wrong

They're all being phased out aren't they! I'll stock up when they get cheap....all these auto adapt ones are great, but what about auto bi passes? The pumps settings will all get bi-passed and set to a speed not resistance (probably!). So in effect be just like a conventional scelectric 15-50!

Last edited:
They're all being phased out aren't they! I'll stock up when they get cheap

Not sure they will get cheap Danny. Grundfos smacked a huge price increase on the old model a couple of months ago - we are still trading on stock bought just before the increase, but I don't expect there to be loads flooding the market at knockdown prices. Its not like there will be no demand.

Not sure they will get cheap Danny. Grundfos smacked a huge price increase on the old model a couple of months ago - we are still trading on stock bought just before the increase, but I don't expect there to be loads flooding the market at knockdown prices. Its not like there will be no demand.
i agree had a shock when i bought a 1560 from plumbase 89 quid inc

Do you think they will continue to manufacturer them beyond the new legislation dates?

A lot of these inovations come at a cost. Energy saving light bulbs for instance. I can tell you why they save energy....they don't light the place up properly!

People say, ah you've got to let it run for a while and then it gets brighter. Righto!!

Do you think they will continue to manufacturer them beyond the new legislation dates?

A lot of these inovations come at a cost. Energy saving light bulbs for instance. I can tell you why they save energy....they don't light the place up properly!

People say, ah you've got to let it run for a while and then it gets brighter. Righto!!

I agree about the light bulbs. Horrible things.

I don't think they will continue to manufacture them as mainstream products. Dunno about as spares, but if the latter, they aren't going to be cheap.

Circulating pumps asked us for a final number of CP 53 and CP 63s and have said that once they are gone, they arent making any more. However, that could just be sales hype.

I don't think it is Ray, the EUP directive I read somewhere stated that once the first trigger date is reached - early 2013 - then all pumps, replacement and new, will be the new autoadapt type. The second trigger point, early 2015, all pumps should have been replaced.

My main worry is replacing pumps built into boilers. There's barely any room already, how are we supposed to fit new pumps with larger control packs and inverters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Croppie

I guess I am just an old cynic. When a salesman tells me that I have to buy loads of something right now, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. :)

Ray

"The only numbers I can see are:983484 and U327,"

I cant explain 98, but am sure the pump was made week 34. In 1984. Hope that helps !

How do we stand fitting a high efficiency pump to a boiler that wasn't designed for it ?

Surely this goes against all we preach about fitting non OEM parts ?

I think because intelligent pumps have been used in the commercial market for quite a while I can see the benefits. Yes they cost more but because they react to both system temperature and downstream pressure they can adjust their speed and pump curve accordingly with a marked decrease in running costs over a year.

But I can also see where you're coming from Ray. This time though it's coming from Brussels, not the manufacturers.

I cant explain 98, but am sure the pump was made week 34. In 1984. Hope that helps !

How do we stand fitting a high efficiency pump to a boiler that wasn't designed for it ?

Surely this goes against all we preach about fitting non OEM parts ?

Down to the boiler manufacturers to advise.

There may be a definition issue here.

A new installation - fine, we know what that means.
A replacement pump - that might just refer to the replacement of a free-standing pump, ie one that is not incorporated into a boiler

I have a suspicion that pumps sold as spares will be called "replacement components" or something, and may be excluded? As croppie says, in some cases, a different shape/larger pump simply won't fit.

But I don't know. I will try to find out though - its not a small issue.

brussels the same muppets who a few years back wanted to ban curved bananas or some nonsense like that,why dont they bugger off and stop interfering normal pumps dont use that much leccy its all bullcarp

Luddites! Lol

I agree with leaving the eu though. And no more handouts to other countries!

Luddites! Lol

I agree with leaving the eu though. And no more handouts to other countries!

Totally agree.
And that includes Scotland when they realise they made a mistake in leaving :)

** I'll get my coat **

Its madness to change a component that works so well as is, and as GM says isn't a massive consumer of electricity. Commercially I can see the savings, but for mr & mrs smith, who's pump is running fine, how am I going to convince them a new funky autoadapt one is what they need!?

You can bet that if Grundos stop making them, then wilo or some other manufacturer will continue to make basic three speed pumps.

and the other problem with intelligent pumps a complex pcb that will go wrong

How many customers are out there asking for these things? How many jobbing plumbers are out there asking for these things?

Not many. So who exactly is it that is forcing these upon us? Sure the pump manufacturers aren't complaining!!

Just like all these green deals, and renewables. Yes I get it, the sun is free energy, lets harness it....but the confusion, and chaos that is the green deal is mental.

I read an article recently about it. On one page there was 6 acronyms. Seriously. That's sheer madness. No one really knows what's going on with it.

I trained in it, as I didn't want to get left behind. What a waste of time. That market will be dominated by big businesses, not the likes of me!

Sorry to rant, but all this energy saving malarky gets me worked up. Some of it makes no sense.

Sorry to rant, but all this energy saving malarky gets me worked up. Some of it makes no sense.
dont read the boiler efficiency thread,a clean but old ideal classics not far behind a wb greenstar or duotec in nett efficiency

All this 'green' gonads does my head in, all this global warming does my head in. We are being 'green' taxed to save the world, unfortunately the efforts of millions are wiped out by the efforts of billions. I think we managed to save enough carbon last year to wipe out a couple of hours worth of chinese carbon production.

It's just all a load of gonads.

Firstly, it should be 98.3484. There are a couple on Ebay with exactly the same number and one with the number 98.2657, which would mean it was made in week 26 of 1957. I don't think so - it would make the pump 55 years old! The one on Ebay also has the number U020

I've taken some 25/30 year old grundfos pumps out. Still faithfully working. Just there time to go on the scrap pile.

we've lived here for over twenty years and haven't changed the pump yet. now i've said that it will give up next week lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How old is my Grundfos pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock