Search the forum,

Discuss How old do we reckon this stopcock is? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Owner told me house is 1950s, bottom of stopcock was on soft copper, but seemed to be 15mm OD. If it were not for the seal between body and head being some form of black fibre that looks a little bit like an asbestos washer, I'd say this were a replacement head. The thread of the head to body is a fine thread, not 1/2" BSP.
upload_2018-10-30_18-27-56.jpeg

Olives are copper and tapered.
upload_2018-10-30_18-29-20.jpeg

Compression nuts state 'PRESTEX 864-2' and are 1/2" threaded.
upload_2018-10-30_18-28-38.jpeg

Has '31' and kitemark on one side, '1/2' and '>>-P->' symbol on the other side.
upload_2018-10-30_18-30-22.jpeg

Gland seal was black plastic/rubber compound, jumper rotates but is not a loose jumper. The washer fitted was obviously not original. A 1/2" fits well, though it seems a tad thicker than the jumper was designed for. The washer pushes onto a nib on the jumper: there is no nut in this design.

upload_2018-10-30_18-31-3.jpeg

And now I've cleaned it up and got it working, what the heck am I going to do with it lol?

It's an old imperial stopcock. The ends of the pipe were flared out with a drifting tool and then the tapered olives were inserted into the flared out pipe ends. Made from high quality heavy brass and drifted fittings were still in use in the U.K up until the 1980's. Goad, I feel old now remembering these fittings! A Yorky tap adapter will screw on to these, if you're looking for a short term fix. You're right mate about the innards and handle being replaced as that's not the original.

The pipes were not flared in this instance and the olives were used just like modern olives. Perhaps using this fitting as a manipulative fitting was an optional? I pulled the olives off with an olive puller.

This was replaced with a lever valve, so no need to repair, though it would be interesting to know what you mean by a Yorky tap adapter in case I need one one day.

In any case it now works perfectly. For some reason I felt an urge to descale this an repack the gland. Probably not low-lead brass so would be illegal to fit on potable water?

What did the original head look like, I wonder?

I work with those all the time, but not certain what original head looked like.
There was a head similar to that replacement, with a flat and pointed handle.
It is made by Peglers.
Prestex is Peglers I believe.
Those old tapered copper olives were very beefy and top quality.

Ah the good old olive puller tool, I've just recently bought the Monument olive cutter and it's brilliant too. Really handy for rad tails.
Most of these valves and fittings were drifted fittings and I was taught how to drift fittings at Falkirk College as recently as the late 1970's, old skool but they worked. Good to see these old Prestex valves and impressed that you're doing something with it. Nowadays, if it's not plastic and can't be pushed together, many plumbers are stumped. Don't miss doing soldered ball joints though, that can happily stay in the past! LOL

I work with those all the time, but not certain what original head looked like.
There was a head similar to that replacement, with a flat and pointed handle.
It is made by Peglers.
Prestex is Peglers I believe.
Those old tapered copper olives were very beefy and top quality.
Flat and pointed?

I will admit I have installed those stopcocks and Prestex rad valves with same fine threads and olives when they were brand new. :)
On that point, those olives are top quality and won’t leak, but on radiator valves they will very slightly show signs of green at pipe below rad nut after admittedly maybe 30 years. This is because copper olives on heating pipes are still too soft

Good to see these old Prestex valves and impressed that you're doing something with it. Nowadays, if it's not plastic and can't be pushed together, many plumbers are stumped.

Come on, now. The NVQ has quite a lot of copper in the college assessments. Do you mean bathroom fitters trading as plumbers :) ? I had a mate the other day tell me he was doing someone's bathroom. Seeing as he's trained as a carpenter, I thought 'oh dear!'.

Must say I'm tempted to fit it in my own home under my bathroom cold tap. Given that I have tank hot mains cold, I decided to restrict the cold flow rate at the 1/4 turn isolator before I learned better (and to stop the water splashing out of the basin). Now the isolator is seized, obviously. A screwdown type isolator, on the other hand, would work. But, again, lead brass...ah heck...I'll use it for the washing machine when the existing isolator gives out. That way there'll be a check valve between the stopcock and the mains!

I like to put a stopcock on the mains pipe feeding a filling loop so when it is off, it stays off.
The stupid wee lever valves are dodgy and could get knocked on

i would say around 30-50 years

Yes, I am one of the unusual plumbers who prefers brass olives for heating pipes.
(Except on plastic pipes where it must be copper olives obviously)
Getting quality brass olives is the problem though
Quality brass olives are becoming increasingly difficult to find. The cheaper brass olives are nearly as soft as copper olives and I've seen these having moved on rad tails, despite being tightened up.

Yes they are. See p2.14 G2.8 and R2.8. I have even contacted Pegler's technical department to ask if, in the company's opinion, its full-bore spherical valves 'are suitable for the purpose' and been told 'yes'.

But water board require a stop tap and not a lever valve doesn't matter what manufacturer says

WRAS says it's okay. The point about the manufacturer stating suitability is to ensure compliance with R2.8 (in any case, G2.8 specifically accepts spherical valves). Which water board are you referring to anyway? I'm Anglian, not Severn Trent.

Have you looked at the WRAS guide where I suggested?

Reply to How old do we reckon this stopcock is? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
I am trying to seal a tap (wall mount faucet for a lavatory/bathroom) my wife purchased from Morocco. We live in the US, and everything is NPT over here, but the thread on the moroccan piece is BSPP G 1/2. I got some G 1/2 dowty sealing washers (steel band with a neoprene gasket inside, and that...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Help, I have this 2" pipe plug into a 90 elbow that I can't seem to stop dripping. It dripped 1/4 cup in a day. I've recently removed an old coal boiler. There were four 2" pipes that I cut off, those all sealed fine. All but one of the pipe stubs came out without too much effort. One was very...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with an old stopcock (40 years?) fitted on the old alkathene supply pipe. This is in a property owned by an elderly friend and the stopcock has been leaking from the spindle for many months. Despite several attempts to pack out the gland with PTFE the valve continues to leak. My...
Replies
Views
Could anyone please identify the thread and connection required to fit this old stopcock (photo attached), the problem thread is 0.894" across the thread, with 14 threads per inch. The feed pipe into the stopcock is 1/2" copper, and is approximately 4" long - from the concrete floor to the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock