Search the forum,

Discuss How much would you charge/pay day rate for Gas Safe Engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalyst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ok guys. Im doing a little research on rates for qualified gas safe engineers.
now I realise that PQE experience is important, and for this example say 12-18 months PQE and a competent person.

Im wanting to know what a fair day rate is to charge/pay for working in the Yorkshire area (South Yorkshire) . Mainly installing but some repairs and services also.

All input appreciated.

If van,diesel and tools are supplied by the engineer is £100 a day a fair rate or too cheap?

What would you charge out at? (on a sub con basis so no salary or guarantee of work all week) or if your an employer what would you expect to pay?

How would this change for someone with 3 years+ PQE work experience?

THANKS

Last edited:
personally i prefer pike fishing as they bite back and are less slimmey!!!.
what is a pqe?.
forget the ignorance but is it a fitting or joint sealer?.

oh no not another nosey parker !
100 a day ? too much !! why dont you go off and research the lenght of time it takes to get trained up experience, and being able to deal with the public then you might decide what rates of pay may be , how about vat, overheads, insurance, ph advertising , wages tv food pub horses women rent , get real and get off the stage , we are not telling you so find out yourself.

So thats

"I realise that Post Qualification Experience experience is important" and "Post Qualification Experience work experience?"

maybe if you want to make up abbreviations,you may find, that if you fit them into your statements correctly,it would make more sense :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So thats

"I realise that Post Qualification Experience experience is important" and "Post Qualification Experience work experience?"

maybe if you want to make up abbreviations,you may find, that if you fit them into your statements correctly,it would make more sense :(

Erm, PQE is a widely used phrase in the corporate industry. I didnt make it up (google it if you dont believe me!)
oh no not another nosey parker !
100 a day ? too much !! why dont you go off and research the lenght of time it takes to get trained up experience, and being able to deal with the public then you might decide what rates of pay may be , how about vat, overheads, insurance, ph advertising , wages tv food pub horses women rent , get real and get off the stage , we are not telling you so find out yourself.

Nosey parker? I wasnt asking why you wear brown Y fronts ffs?!

its a fairly simple question, I was hoping for some useful input from people.
I KNOW how much I get paid, and was wanting to see if Im getting ripped off or not? whats that got to do with VAT, overheads etc etc

if you read my post, I was asking, HOW MUCH IS A FAIR DAY RATE TO CHARGE SUBCONTRACTING TO A BIGGER COMPANY. Their insurance, overheads, vat etc are none of my business. I do the work,using my van and tools and get paid. I dont supply any materials or consumables but they provide me with a 'stock'. I give them my UTR and sort my own self assessment out at year end.

Any useful input from anyone else? ta

Last edited:
£100 a day?!!!

Qualified and experienced people charging that sort of money are not doing themselves or any of the rest of us any favours.
I was charging that in 1990.
If we all charge a rate which reflects our worth considering how much it costs to stay up to date with technology then we can all prosper.
Don't undervalue yourself, if you know your trade and can speak knowledgeably to your customers and demonstrate your ability and skills, they will be prepared to pay a more realistic rate.
£70 a single hour and then a reduction for each hour after that.
£300 for an 8 hour day.
We have so many overheads these days that if we don't charge that sort of money we might as well push trolleys round Tesco's car parks!
I realise that Where I live is an expensive place so in other areas you may have to adjust accordingly.

£100 a day?!!!

Qualified and experienced people charging that sort of money are not doing themselves or any of the rest of us any favours.
I was charging that in 1990.
If we all charge a rate which reflects our worth considering how much it costs to stay up to date with technology then we can all prosper.
Don't undervalue yourself, if you know your trade and can speak knowledgeably to your customers and demonstrate your ability and skills, they will be prepared to pay a more realistic rate.
£70 a single hour and then a reduction for each hour after that.
£300 for an 8 hour day.
We have so many overheads these days that if we don't charge that sort of money we might as well push trolleys round Tesco's car parks!
I realise that Where I live is an expensive place so in other areas you may have to adjust accordingly.

Thanks mate

Appreciate the input :)
I have started doing some work for the 'bigger company' mentioned above and was getting paid a decent 'per job' rate but they want me to work 4 days a week for them for the foreseeable future and have asked what my day rate is.
I told them I would let them know on monday so am just trying to make sure Im not over or under selling myself.

I think rates are a bit lower round here (as everyones tight as hell!!) but it seems that £150-£200 per day would be a more realistic rate?!

Last edited:
Go in high, you can then negotiate to a sensible rate.
If you start at £100 a day you might end up at £80!!!!!!!

I pay my Loveslaves with basic plumbing experiance £100 a day just for general labouring and basic plumbing.

admitedly I am not in South Yorkshire, even so I am sure that the great north, south divide isnt that bad

£100 a day is ok if I started my day at 10.00am and I was home by 14.00

ok so why dont you tell us how much a day you are getting ? then we can decide what is best !

ok so why dont you tell us how much a day you are getting ? then we can decide what is best !

Well, work for them has been paid on a per job basis but it averaged out at £100-£130 day (but some of these were long days..some were shorter) which seems to be pretty pants from what you guys have said :confused:

Wont be working for that cheap again

Last edited:
I`m in the south yorkshire area and do carry out some work for large companys my standard day rate is £360.00 plus mileage plus materials if required. I must strees that not all my work is in yorkshire in fact hardly any of it is.

Well, work for them has been paid on a per job basis but it averaged out at £100-£130 day (but some of these were long days..some were shorter) which seems to be pretty pants from what you guys have said :confused:

Wont be working for that cheap again

I may have missed something but I presume your gas safe registered but how long have you been qualified? I wouldnt bother to get out of bed for £100 a day, it would be a waste of my investment in my training. Labourers digging holes and shovelling sh** get that here in North Devon and we are supposed to be one of the poorest parts of the country with people living in squalid housing etc. I would think its time you struck out and went to work for yourself properly.:(

I may have missed something but I presume your gas safe registered but how long have you been qualified? I wouldnt bother to get out of bed for £100 a day, it would be a waste of my investment in my training. Labourers digging holes and shovelling sh** get that here in North Devon and we are supposed to be one of the poorest parts of the country with people living in squalid housing etc. I would think its time you struck out and went to work for yourself properly.:(

quality - thanks for the info mate :)

old plumber - I have been doing water plumbing for over 10 years (including heating) but got qualified for gas just under a year ago.

I am also qualified electrically 17th edition + inspect and test, and am registered with NICEIC (for 5 years plus)

When I first took this work I was hoping it would lead to bigger and better things (££) and it may do, I think I am going to ask for a more realistic day rate (circa £200) and then go from there.

My final destination is indeed to have my own company and maybe even employ a few other engineers if all goes well. But with the economy as it has been I thought myself lucky to have enough work to get by, only now am I realising that I should be firm and up front in demanding more wonga!

Last edited:
with your background and experience, get out there, advetise in local mags, not papers, use you friends etc and do some w/e work and go from there. £25 per hr in reasonable rate for what you can do if not more, callout/first hour £50 etc but get a customer base and work it from there. Have fun youll only have to do 14 hour days for the first 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats a utr?
i am still doing wet stuff and wont work for less than £200 per day+

Hi,
dont under selling yourself.
With one customer only you can make more than £200
so £200 per day would be a less realistic rate.
£200 per day for bigger company is penny.
Please ask them more money.
Ben

gotta be looking at 250-300 a day mate, using your own tools ? so what if your core drill goes when drilling for a flue have to hire one, or stich drill you'd still want it replacing you gas safe registered? so what happens when your bill comes to renew off them or your refreshers, your analyser needs calibrating, fuel, van engine goes or new tyres, lose your grips, adjustables etc etc, or god forbid your van gets broken into, all in one week lol. 500 quid a week isnt gonna pay all that, your mortgage, kids, holidays and offset your 4 years of training? or the price of your quick fix course which ever route you took.

and if you charge 100 quid a day, whats mr heating engineer going to think round the corner charging 300? he'll do his homework on you mate, soon have rumours going round why your so cheap etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys

Appreciate the input :cool:

gotta be looking at 250-300 a day mate, using your own tools ? so what if your core drill goes when drilling for a flue have to hire one, or stich drill you'd still want it replacing you gas safe registered? so what happens when your bill comes to renew off them or your refreshers, your analyser needs calibrating, fuel, van engine goes or new tyres, lose your grips, adjustables etc etc, or god forbid your van gets broken into, all in one week lol. 500 quid a week isnt gonna pay all that, your mortgage, kids, holidays and offset your 4 years of training? or the price of your quick fix course which ever route you took.

and if you charge 100 quid a day, whats mr heating engineer going to think round the corner charging 300? he'll do his homework on you mate, soon have rumours going round why your so cheap etc etc.

You make some very good points mate.
I have been doing some weekend work paying much more than £100 a day but had it in my head it would be worth working 'cheap' for them until Id got my feet under the table so to speak!!

I should have mentioned that SDS drill, core drill and bits and analyser are loaned to me by them.
But still, van insurance, tax, Gas safe reg fees, NICEIC reg fees should be factored in to my day rate for sure and I had really been allowing these as 'paid for' by weekend jobs and my own gas jobs during the week (trying to build my own customer base up!)

But dont worry chaps, I havent lowered the tone in my area (yet) with regards to day rates and I WONT be doing it now Ive had some feedback from you lot!!!

I would rather not take the work than do it for less than £250 a day now Ive actually done my sums :eek:.

On my own jobs I charge £35 per hour which for an 8 hour day is £280 but my problem is not having enough work yet to 'go it alone' hence why I nearly sold myself short..... :eek:

Very glad I made this thread now,......

Last edited:
I think PQE is important and lets not forget HRT, FSQ, LBC, FW and PPE

TTFN - Fuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much would you charge/pay day rate for Gas Safe Engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock