Search the forum,

Discuss How much is Gas safe course? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

In Scotland, we have a grant scheme funded by the Scottish Government called the ILA Learning Account. This means that £200 is available for refresher courses (usually costing £200, so learning is free) and £500 per course is available for HNC, HND courses even if you only learn part time. This grant does help to pay for a small part of the course fees involved and is welcome.
I'm thinking about Gas Safe and colleges here that provide this course are hard to find. Does anyone know how much this course will cost and a college in Scotland that provides this? I've phoned the helpline and went round in circles. I need to know the cost, so that I can register my ILA account.
:)

I should have worded it as, how much does it cost to be Gas safe trained and registered?

I should have worded it as, how much does it cost to be Gas safe trained and registered?

privately about 10k. through a college far less but will take 4 years and you need to get employment to get your quals

Thanks Fuzzy for your reply. I'm self employed and want to do this part time through a college. You say much less, are we talking about £2,500? If so I can get my ILA account for this.
I served my time the proper way over 4 years to get my Advanced Craft City and Guilds certificate and not a quicky 3 month course that seems to be the norm these days, but never got round to my gas qualifications, even though I've been a plumber since 1982

Thanks Fuzzy for your reply. I'm self employed and want to do this part time through a college. You say much less, are we talking about £2,500? If so I can get my ILA account for this.
I served my time the proper way over 4 years to get my Advanced Craft City and Guilds certificate and not a quicky 3 month course that seems to be the norm these days, but never got round to my gas qualifications, even though I've been a plumber since 1982

if you have an advanced craft certificate in plumbing Im pretty sure you only need 40 days experience signed as opposed to 240 days non qualified!
If so, get sorted on your 40 days and contact a local college. They will prob offer a refrsher course which should be about 6 days or so, then 4 days for assessment.

Thanks Fuzzy. That's great news and I'll get straight on to it. Colleges here that do it are thin on the ground for some reason, but I think there's one in Livingston.

Mainly doing lead work, bathroom installations, new builds. I worked with code 10 lead in freezing cold conditions in the middle of Winter, had to blast it with a gas torch to work with it!

i work in South Lanarshire College in East Kilbride, there are a few grant funded courses on there at the moment, give us a call to discuss what is available, you will need a portfolio of evidence by working with a gas engineer, check out BPEC website as that is who we are accredited with to see if there is any info on the portfolio

plumber/gas fitter??gas is only a small part of being a plumber,many realy good plumbers make a good living just doing plumbing,leadwork,soilstacks,waste systems,hot and cold services and design,bathrooms,kitchens etc,over the last few years i have met and employed several plumber/gas fitters,most of those who do mainly gas have had very little knowlage of basic plumbing,none have been able to design plumbing instalations to correct specs,do lead work,know about correct falls in soil and waste pipework,i recently inspected a central heating job installed by a well known gas orientated plumber in my area 16 rads all on 15mm tube except for first two,by the time last rad started to heat boiler timer had turned boiler off, people think if you are not gas safe registered you cant be a plumber.i am lucky that i have had 40 years to become a plumber/gas fitter but am still learning.£4500 to £11000 to train a gas fitter( fast track) huge profit for training companies,earn £60,000 a year on completion walk streight into a job at fantastic money,huge demand for plumbers/ gas fitters what a lie that is.we could train people at a reasonable rate to allow people to enter the industry.but dont look to the goverment for help they are to busy robbing us all to care whos robbing you

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much is Gas safe course? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock