Search the forum,

Discuss HOW MUCH DOES COPPER EXPAND...approx in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ste b

I have a few examples of how much copper expands when it is bent to 90 degrees, just need a little help to help me find out which is correct, i know the actual bend from start to finish is twice the diameter of the pipe being bent,am i right? but i dont think this is actually how much the pipe expands, i been told not to worry about this to much because in the real world you will just cut off the excess pipe, but i want to know how much!!!,lets a 100mm length of 15 mm pipe will expand and same dimensions for 22mm pipe, there must a very easy way,a formula has been used i just cant find it anywhere, be gentle im a learner,lol.......

cheers......

The size of the bend is dependent on the bender used. If I use my Robend I get a much tighter bend than my hilmor benders.

Mike

Good morning had a feeling you would say that,lets say you use your HILMOR and the length of pipe is 1000mm how much approx would you need to subtract from this length to be able to get the least amount of waste,with a 90 degree bend.........with both 15mm and 22mm......???????

Not got the faintest idea. I've not bothered that much since I left college. I do most of my bending by eye. The offcuts all go in the scrap bin and can always be used for any short bits if you're that bothered.

Mike

say you want 150 mm bend from centre to centre measure out 150 mm on your pipe then measure back 70 mm with 15 mm pipe. and measure back 100 mm with 22mm pipe as long as you bend from correct position you will more or less get perfect amount of pipe.alling the arrow with the curved edge on the former.is this what you was after .

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike j - Please stop bending with your eye, you could do yourself serious harm m8,cheers for replying even though you just built up my hopes,then let me down, lol, keep well m8.

Wigz, exactly what i was looking for, cheers,you hit the bullseye, i know it not down to the mm but that is exactly what i was looking for.....keep well m8

no probs, thats it down the the mm as long as you have it correct in the bender also if you wanna bend a 45 degreen bend you just half the mesaurement for each size so for a 90 in 15 mm its 70 mm back, and for a 45 degree bend its 35mm back. 22mm 45 degree bend is 50 mm back hope it saves you some money on waste.

This place just keeps on getting better, cheers wigz,you from wigan by any chance?

The formular you are looking for is pi times diamater times two divided by four for a 90 degree bend and divided by 12 for a 30 degree bend as these figures are the fraction of a circles degrees, To get the diamater just double the radius !, 15mm x 2 x 3.14 (pi) this gives 94.2 mm which is the exact piece you need and for spring bending only as the radius id usually 4 x the dia of the pipe. It is a bit tricky to explain in full though you will find it on the net or in your JML plumbing level 2 book.

sorry 15mm x 4 = ,60mm x 2 = 120 x 3.14 = 376.8 divide this by the fraction of 360 degrees, so if it were by 4( 90 degrees being one quater of 360 degrees) then that would give 94.2 mm . The formular is different on a former and will give a tighter bend thus needing less copper so measure the radius of the former it will usually give 45mm so the same equation would give 71mm for a 90 degree bend. hope you get this mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. The word is gain not expand. Just put a datum mark on the pipe. Bend and calculating that which is gained. It will always remain the same for that pipe size and bender. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HOW MUCH DOES COPPER EXPAND...approx in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock