Search the forum,

Discuss How much do you earn bein gas engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jammie

How much you earn a week?

enough to run a porsche and eat caviar butties . how much do you earn and what do you do? oh and i have got a roof rack on it as well

Depends on how good you are, who you work for, how much overtime you do, where you live and many other factors.

Check the job adverts for salaries. BG are advertising up to 50K a year achievable but that would be with a lot of overtime and a top notch engineer. A firm local to me are paying 27K for fully qualified engineers.

Mike

when BG say up to 50k they mean the top earning gas man out of all 8000 BG service engineers got 50k one year. No doubt he's a whiz kid, a salesman and and overtime man but he would not have had a life that year and it can't be good for your health doing the hours he must have been doing.

bg men earn 27000 then O.T on top if available and some bonuses but self employed corgi men do better.

i work for bg and agree with danger mouse but believe me they want their pound of flesh plus a little extra

every engineer in company is always shocked when they win best employer awards, think that may be case in office but in field defo not case, think only thing holding installation and servicing divisions afloat is pension scheme, if they ever try to attack that engineers will leave in droves. our patch already lost 4 in 18month!!!

Kinda moved away from Jammie's point guys, Jammie Ive been both self employed and worked for a big company the salaries were around the same ÂŁ25k-35 depending on how hard you want to work, and how much you value quality of life.

Live to work or work to live :D

i used to be a precision engineer 10 years ago. changed careers. been self employed for 4 years as plumbing and heating engineer. I am comfortable on what i earn, but on about the same as when i was engineering. Difference is, i dont work shifts, i am my own boss, i get plenty of variety, i enjoy going to work and i rarely work weekends. Moral: its not just about money.

Being self-employed you can earn what you put in. If you work hard expect to earn over 50k a year. If u laze around and do jack **** expect to earn what you do working for a company.

As long as the work is there you can earn as much as you like. It depends on how good you are how you treat your customers. Be reliable, curtious and professional and the work / Money will roll in.:D

If I may contribute even though I am not a gas engineer, but know a few. I think they are currently having a very hard time due to the economic climate. Everyone is undercutting to get the work I tend to see many of them at the merchants which on most days seems like the local coffee shop.

I occasionally work with one whom I have told with respect he needs to improve his terms with the merchants on items. I have been with him when collecting stuff and I have obtained better prices than him and he has been going over ten years.

He is also VAT registered which he does not need to be anymore which is making 15% more expensive to begin with. I think everyone needs to be firm and honest as to what you provide your service, customer care, after sales and product for.

I for one whenever I do rad work always flush the system and then put cleaner in as well. I then offer the customer the opportunity to leave this in place for the max time of 4 weeks. I find this is good not only for the system but the customer as I get face to face feed back of any niggly problems that may have arisen. And I get to see the customer again which often leads to more work.

This also promotes the fact that once you have been paid for the work your'e off, customer care and after care is president in my book.

Customer care is regarded as highly important with the likes of Housing Associations.

In point I think you probably have to be CRB checked for some of them now. That I think is an excellent idea, after all we move freely around a persons home and mix with all types of person.

I always remember an old boss I had, who said to me "Never mention anything you see or hear in a persons house, you never know who is listening!" a harmless "Oh! number so and so is going away on holiday next week" while your having a pint. And you may be over heard. The same applies about those expensive jewels in the bedroom.

So we are being trusted in more ways than we think.

I know I must have built up a mental block over the years and probably could not tell you what colour wall paper is in the house I have just worked in, half the time.

Probably might be able to tell you about the Plumbing system though!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How much do you earn bein gas engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock